Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Zowie ZA12 is a day old and already looks like its 3 years old from sweat and oil from gaming. Do most people just use some water and a cloth to clean the top of the mouse shell?

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I use LCD cleaner sprayed onto a corner of a microfiber cloth, rub at the dirt with the wetted corner, then buff dry with the dry portion of the cloth.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try that thanks. Not sure what coating they use but it doesn't seem very durable. I have a Logitech G303 sitting here and I've used it a few days and it shows nothing on it compared to the ZA12...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post

Alcohol + lint cloth (sometimes I use cotton rings) = profit
Last time I tried an alcohol prep pad on a Zowie mouse, the black paint started peeling off. IIRC it was an old AM.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,611 Posts
You sure it was alcohol and not something like acetone? Because my old FK1 has no problem with my cleaning routine.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
If you feel like disassembling the mouse, take the shell out and wash it with a brush and soapy water.

it's what I do to my G9 when I need to clean the scroll wheel housing, I use the opportunity to clean the inner shell as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I mix rubbing alcohol and water 50/50 in a little spray bottle, spray my lens cleaning cloth and clean away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I tell you I don't know what material they used but it sure soaks up sweat and oil very easy. Day 2 and my ZA12 looks 3 years old. I tried cleaning it and it helps but you can still clearly see where my fingers rest on the mouse. My DA which is 1 year old looks newer the the 2 day old Zowie. And I have never cleaned the DA. I think I may look for another mouse, one that uses the same material as the DA but smaller with a claw fingertip style grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom3 View Post

Last time I tried an alcohol prep pad on a Zowie mouse, the black paint started peeling off. IIRC it was an old AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post

You sure it was alcohol and not something like acetone? Because my old FK1 has no problem with my cleaning routine.
70% Isopropyl Alcohol, it was this exact one:

I'm halfway through my box of 200 of them, used them on keyboards, monitors, etc. The only time it had a negative effect was on a Zowie mouse.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I cleaned the original FK with isopropyl alcohol and the coating felt "different" afterwards. Just cleaned Rival 100, KPM and G710+ without any issues. Maybe Zowie coating wasn't/isn't as good.

·
Registered
939 Posts
just use a soaked micro fiber/towel, dab a tiny spot in soap, then soak it in very warm water. no need to put chemicals/alcohol that might wear down the coating. the soap will help cut out the grease/hand oils and the warm water helps lift and break down the dead skin cell that builds up.

·
Structural design <3
346 Posts
They fixed the coating since FK1 was released. It doesn't peel off now. You are safe to use 99% isopropyl on Zowies shells now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts