Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

At the expense of sounding like a total idiot. I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect four fans to the mother board. Yes, I said four.....how lame huh? lol

I have the Raven RV02...for now, but may switch back to the Fortress FT02. My dilemma is connecting the 180 fans to the mother board, and still keep the fan control intact (and wire maintenance.) I've considered splicing the wires in parallel, but am uncertain at this time if the motherboard can handle it. The manual states the CPU pin out can handle up to 2A, but doesn't express other pins tolerance.

I have the common pin out, CPU fan, Channel 1 & 2, and Power Fan. The outtake fan is a bit confusing as well as I am unsure whether this should be connected to the Channel 1 (4 pin) but rather not connect there since there will be a wire dangling down to the center of the board. All fan connections are 3 pin.

My mother board is the Asus P7P55D-E Pro.

I thank you in advance of any help!
Tony

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's kind of what I've been trying to avoid, as it would totally defeat the purpose of the built in fan controller of the case. Plus my PSU doesn't have connectors for the fans, unless you mean splice into them.

But, if I were to go this route. Would it be possible to connect just the negative/positive wires to the PSU and bind all PWM leads together and attach it to the mother board? Would this even work?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Most of the motherboard header specs that I have been able to find are rated at about 1A. Depending on the amp draw of your fans, I am comfortable using a 1A or two fan limit (whichever you hit first) from a single header.

You can buy or make a header extension and a splitter. The extension will allow you to hide the splitter and stealth the wires from there.

Please note that I am not familiar with your board. My assumptions have worked for me and are in line with the information I have been able to acquire about other boards. YMMV

• Rep+
Reactions: dedmonwakin

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I've been trying to avoid, as it would totally defeat the purpose of the built in fan controller of the case. Plus my PSU doesn't have connectors for the fans, unless you mean splice into them.

But, if I were to go this route. Would it be possible to connect just the negative/positive wires to the PSU and bind all PWM leads together and attach it to the mother board? Would this even work?
Nope. The PWM adjusts the voltage of the fans, by separating the power draw to the PSU directly, you are negating the PWM effect.

• Rep+
Reactions: dedmonwakin

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, so....how in the heck are people hooking up these cases that have tons of fans at stock. Surely these are not all running full blast and I see no fan controller in sight. I'm too much of a noob, can't wrap my head around this.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpyumul View Post
So you need something like this?

And you didn't get this with your fans when you purchased them?
Yeah that splitter would work, but these are 180mm that require 12v to run at max rpm should I need it. Unfortunately the fans that come with the case didn't come with any adapters. These are all stock fans that come built into the case.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Palm face!!!!!!!!

It does come with the adapters!! lol Got mixed up in this mess of a work space! What a fool I am! Thank you all for the help! Still useful information that I'm sure I'll need as I progress in this hobby!

Thanks again!
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts