Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So The Graphics Card i bought is about 20mm too long to fit perfectly in my case so i will have to cut out a section of the top metal part of the HDD bay
a section about 20mm x 20mm x 120mm Can anyone recommend me the best way to cut out this corner of metal?

It will only mean i cannot use the top 1 out of 5 HDD bays which is fine because i will never have that many anyhow.

I was thinking of either drilling a small hole the section i have marked out in pencil and cutting the rest with a coping saw and sanding off the edges

I dont have a jigsaw, but i do have a dremel i dont know how neat it will be to use one of those though...

comments appreciated
smile.gif

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
dremel will work perfectly and alot quicker than a coping saw

mark your lines, and take your time... there is no rush. The slower you take it the cleaner the line may be.

File down the rough edges and you will be good to go

cheers.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Its a bit of a pain in the ass ill have to uninstall everything motherboard power supply etc
cause i dont want any loose metal filings floating around in there
but i guess it will save me from having to drill out rivets and rivet it back into the case
should be able to dremel out the section in place you think?

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Just remember to take your time with a dremel(rotary tools), any sort of metal deformations from cutting to quickly are painfully difficult to repair(if you even can).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardheadedMurphy;15298301

mark your lines, and take your time... there is no rush. The slower you take it the cleaner the line may be.

cheers.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606;15298371
Just remember to take your time with a dremel(rotary tools), any sort of metal deformations from cutting to quickly are painfully difficult to repair(if you even can).
All very good advice.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardheadedMurphy;15298301

cheers.gif
This!!!!!!
I've had to mod my HAF 932 so I can put a window in and it was an awkward mod too. Take your sweet time and it'll come out great, just make sure to just use a file to smooth the edges and follow that up with some touch up paint.
Other than that, that's the more economical way of doing it, unless you got access to a laser cutter.
tongue.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts