Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've recently dropped Mayhems dye into my loop (spare me the lecture!) and it's majorly discoloured my tubing, turning my red themed PC into a red and purple themed PC.
What I am after is a decent brand of UV tubing, in red, so I can use some CCFL's (or LEDs, aren't they just as good?) to light it up.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of dropping UV additive into the loop either, I've heard it gives a really nice effect but after seeing what Mayhems does to tubing I don't want to have to strip down again if the UV additive discolours anything.

I should really have taken some time and planned what I wanted to do before actually slapping it all together, being a cowboy and pouring dye into the loop.
doh.gif

I've got a few days off now, so I wanted to get some advice so I can strip the lot down, wash it out and piece it back together with shiny new, next day delivery, UV tubing and lights before I have to go back to work on Thursday!

Big thanks for any help.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
605 Posts
Aquarium rocks (little round 'soft' ones) are good for cleaning the res out if you can't get into it.
chose tubing carefully as a lot I have found will turn the walls to powdery white stuff. it dosnt block but tubes are not clean looking

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, if you want to avoid UV dyes and just want to stick to UV tubing which is a good choice but aren't getting enough UV effect because cathodes are bulky and die faster or led not really giving a UV glow but instead of purple light-ish. Try some UV paint on the tubing or fluorescent paint. I've used it many times and its work well because it is meant to be used on cases and not soft plastic but it stilled work.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
What tubing were you using? I've used mayhems dyes in my case for around two years and never had an issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

What tubing were you using? I've used mayhems dyes in my case for around two years and never had an issue.
XSPC's translucent, to be fair, I used a lot. So I could really get a deep red look to it. Probably not the best idea, but I am assuming it's the tubing that's stained, I've not actually pulled the loop apart yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent UV tubing that won't plasticize?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavere View Post

XSPC's translucent, to be fair, I used a lot. So I could really get a deep red look to it. Probably not the best idea, but I am assuming it's the tubing that's stained, I've not actually pulled the loop apart yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent UV tubing that won't plasticize?
Okay well your first mistake was using red dye to achieve deep red... You use red dye with deep blue dye to get that deep red look. Beyond that certain tubing will be WAY more prone to staining due to absorption. Primoflex Advanced LRT is the only stuff that's recommended with Mayhems dye/coolants. If I were you I'd try that first before straying away from something which has aesthetics you prefer. This sounds like user error to me, I've had X1 Black with a lot of UV pink which is supposedly the one of the worst for staining in it in my loop, and haven't had staining issues.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

This sounds like user error to me, I've had X1 Black with a lot of UV pink which is supposedly the one of the worst for staining in it in my loop, and haven't had staining issues.
Thank you kindly.
thumb.gif

But I've heard PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT has terrible plasticiser problems?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:

Thank you kindly.
thumb.gif

But I've heard PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT has terrible plasticiser problems?
Primochill's PrimoFlex PRO LRT had atrocious issues with plasticizers, Primoflex Advanced LRT on the other hand does not and is currently the recommended tubing for Mayhems Products. The issues with tubing, other than plasticizers, is they absorb water over time, or else they would dry out. The only tubing, other than rigid tubing, that doesn't absorb water is rubber tubing which will be VERY tough, not like to flex, and be black. Now factor in plasticizers leaching and you have a surface that's absorbing colored liquid, and little particles on the outside that can be dyed. It's fairly easy to see where I'm going with that.

It probably didn't help that you used only red dye to achieve deep red. That just isn't going to work, and if you do get it to work you're going to need absurd amounts of dye. If you're going for that blood red or deep red look you want to add a little bit of deep blue dye. Blue darkens it up, the more you add the close you'll get to blood red, until the point you pass blood red and start going into a purple type color.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:

Thanks ZytheEKZ, you've been really helpful. I think I'll go with Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT in bloodshed red and just wrap some UV anti-kink coils around them, the red UV seems to glow orange under UV light, shame.
Don't even bother with anti-kink coils, they're painfully irritating to put on, and look pretty crappy. They look cool when you see their product page, but when you put them in your loop it just looks weird. If you're dead set on avoiding dyes and want a good aesthetics look you might consider switching to acrylic tubing and using this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20600/ex-tub-1851/PrimoChilll_12_OD_Rigid_Acrylic_Tube_-_1x_36_Single_-_Red.html?tl=g30c99s2018#blank

Just an FYI UV red doesn't exist, UV red coolant is red coolant with UV pink. Anything UV red is going to be Red with a non red UV such as pink or orange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts