Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after switching processors out today I noticed bent pins on my 640. I started to mess with it and bent 2 pins even more, by the grace of god i got it back straight. At one point I thought the processor was going to be a goner.

Basically anybody have a good method to take one out? I thought of some sort of suction cup device to lift the processor evenly as that seems to be the issue when try to take it out with your index finger and thumb

· Blahhh
262 Posts
Aslong as you pull straight up should be ok. I've seen plenty pull at a angle and bend a whole side row of pins lol.

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Never seen an AMD CPU pin bent as a result of removal, if lifted straight out...have seen it happening seating though.

OT: My biggest gripe with AM* socket design is that pulling the CPU cooler off can easily yank the CPU out without undoing the lever first.

· Registered
5,004 Posts
Get a mechanical pencil and take the lead out. Slide the tip over the pin and bend it straight! Used that trick many times when I was working in a PC shop! Customers always screwed up processor pins lol

• Rep+
Reactions: dlee7283

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killeraxemannic
View Post

Get a mechanical pencil and take the lead out. Slide the tip over the pin and bend it straight! Used that trick many times when I was working in a PC shop! Customers always screwed up processor pins lol

I've used the flat of my small Swiss Army knife blade.

· Premium Member
16,100 Posts
I've also ripped the CPU out of the socket before when moved from Socket A to 939 since the heatspreader presents a much larger surface area for thermal paste bonding. Even then the pins did not bend. What exactly are you doing to bend the pins?

It's pretty straightforward, twist HSF after unclipping to break bond.
Lift lever.
Pull out CPU by edges.
???
Profit.

· Registered
959 Posts
Instead of using one hand use both. I mean the index fingers and thumbs of both hands to get a better grip.
Actually, the trick is to hold the processor securely first (using only one hand, no need for both), and then lifting it up keeping the fingers steady. If you move your fingers while the cpu is still in the socket then it applies a rotational motion (instead of linear) which may bend the pins.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;12990797
Never seen an AMD CPU pin bent as a result of removal, if lifted straight out...have seen it happening seating though.

OT: My biggest gripe with AM* socket design is that pulling the CPU cooler off can easily yank the CPU out without undoing the lever first.
But it's impossible to lift the lever while the cooler is still on.

Try to twist or wiggle the cooler to break it free from the paste,or turn the computer on for 5 minutes or so to warm it up,then remove the cooler if possible. If nothing else then yank it out as gently as possible.
However,I wonder what the OP is doing to be having bent pins,I've never had bent pins,even when the CPU is stuck to the heatsink and pops out of the socket.

· Stock *ahem*
6,669 Posts
Are you un-securing the ZIF socket lever? I've just been very careful to always lift the lever, then use my thumb and finger to lft the CPU slowly out of the socket without twisting or tilting it.

· Registered
5,004 Posts
Another thing I do is when I have popped the cooler lever I press down on the cooler and twist back and forth to break the paste loose. The cooler usually comes off easily after that without ripping the CPU off the socket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.