Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, What build of W10 do you guys consider the best for absolute gaming performance/latency? I'm concerned with the Timer Resolution and Exclusive Fullscreen Mode implementation, along with all the other crap M$ continues to push. I'll be disabling Windows Updates/Defender/Indexing etc. since this build is only for extreme gaming.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,116 Posts
you have to match your Windows build to your gaming chair to truly experience extreme gaming

·
Hardware Princess
1,848 Posts
LTSB :)

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Not only you need to match your PC to the chair, you also must ingest doritos and mountain dews as whole meals, 5 times a day to keep your opness at highest level possible.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello, What build of W10 do you guys consider the best for absolute gaming performance/latency? I'm concerned with the Timer Resolution and Exclusive Fullscreen Mode implementation, along with all the other crap M$ continues to push. I'll be disabling Windows Updates/Defender/Indexing etc. since this build is only for extreme gaming.
Build 1804 provides best performance

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Then there is literally no difference, SSDs readouts are affected by Spectre/Meltdown patches which you can easily disable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If performance is your priority and you'll be disabling the spectre/meltdown patches and stripping the OS, why does it need to be Win10 ?

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
didn't the whole spectre thing get patched away middle of last year?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Getting rid of all the bloat will only make the system tidier and without the bloat. These programs are not running in the background and not in a stand-by - they don't use Amy resources as well. The only difference might come from disabling services, though it'd also only git RAM usage... In megbaytes.

·
Hardware Princess
1,848 Posts
Is there much difference compared to just disabling the Windows Store/Uninstalling Builtin Apps/Disabling Updates? I mean is it really worth the effort of buying a key off ebay?

I should have mentioned I will be disabling Spectre/Meltdown patches with (https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm).
I haven't gone through removing all that stuff on 10 so I'm not sure. I went straight to LTSB.

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
Ive run win10 pro, enterprise, ltsb and ltsc... and it makes very little difference in gaming. Difference between enterprise and ltsc is a few hundred mb of ram usage, no store or cortana and ltsc doesn’t get feature updates. If you are going to run ltsc dont buy keys online... there are better ways. Attached screenshot is system at idle.

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
12,877 Posts
Hi,
Doubt build really matters newest 1809 is required for newest rtx graphic's cards
1803 is the only other still supported build so just flip a coin and or try both see for your self.

·
Iconoclast
30,216 Posts
I'm finding Server 2016 Standard easiest to strip down and still have it remain functional (I think I have 35 processes on startup, with everything I want working), as well as being quite snappy because of this, but the build (1607) is too old to have support for the retpoline patches, so it will only match I/O performance of newer builds if the spectre mitigations are disabled.

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
I'm finding Server 2016 Standard easiest to strip down and still have it remain functional (I think I have 35 processes on startup, with everything I want working), as well as being quite snappy because of this, but the build (1607) is too old to have support for the retpoline patches, so it will only match I/O performance of newer builds if the spectre mitigations are disabled.
Server 2019 looks decent too I wonder if it can be stripped down that far. I have the ISO just never installed it.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,116 Posts
Server 2019 looks decent too I wonder if it can be stripped down that far. I have the ISO just never installed it.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro is my HWBOT OS. Consistently outperforms my stripped down Windows 10 and my old 2016 install.

I've got a few keys for Server 2019 but haven't gotten around to given it a go yet.

·
Iconoclast
30,216 Posts
I tried Server 2019 and in addition to being much more bloated than 2016, recent updates reintroduced some folder permissions bug that causes SFC to always throw errors, every time it's run, on known good installs...which makes it a real pain to find if actual corruption has occurred.

I'll probably give it a shot again after the May update, but I would not recommend it in it's current state.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts