Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In escaping Windows Ive tried to find an OS that will compliment what I could do with XP, namely, video and graphics processing along and audio creation. I have for some time used Startcom Linux and enjoyed the packaged Cinerella video editor and Audacity audio editor. In searching for a comparable distro I have found alot of packages made simply for internet and word processing. Granted Im hooked on Open Office and Firefox as well, I want to branch out. If you guys have any suggestions for a workstation Linux(preferably out of the box) for audio, video, coding(c++, css, etc.), and preferably out of the box compatable(not a requirement, but always a plus) I would really appreciate any input.

And since this is my first post(been lurking), I wanna say hi to all, love the faqs!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
gentoo, if you have some time. Suse 10(bad video support.), fedora core 4(or 5 i think), Sled 10 is out too. Debian, and ubuntu.
And welcome to the forums, we are a little short on linux guys though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, time is a premium atm. Midterms are the bane of my existance.

Well, I have Suse 10.1 oh hand and I could never get the hang of Debian (heard such good things). I also just updated my system specs and wondered if theres a distro that would run smoothly on my <cough>old</cough> system.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i always see Xandros in TIger Drect. . i hear there buisness ver. is pretty decent and has the capability to somehow install some windoews programs on it (like M$ office, photoshop, and some others) . . the open circulation ver. (W/o that support) is free DL (im testing it now). and the buisness ver. is $80 i think

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Fedora sounds like a good one for you to try, core 6 just came out today. SuSE 10.1 also has a good amount of programming tools. For either on those distro you find that the codecs for audio and video aren't fully there. They should work fine for you, and if not you can then always get the actually codec that your distribution slimmed down. (I know SuSE does this, and heard Fedora did the same)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD

i always see Xandros in TIger Drect. . i hear there buisness ver. is pretty decent and has the capability to somehow install some windoews programs on it (like M$ office, photoshop, and some others) . . the open circulation ver. (W/o that support) is free DL (im testing it now). and the buisness ver. is $80 i think

That is probably with either WINE or cross-over. Both are basically the same thing. You can get WINE for free though. Cross-over cost like $50 I think.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
FC (6 is out
). Downloading mine right now. Ubuntu and Suse are good too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts