Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I built my x299 system at the beginning of the year. I waited for the x299 dark to be released. I love the board, has many features I really enjoy. Black/gold color scheme matching my kingpin 1080ti, 90 degree 24 pin and other connector, adds a nice little bit of detail and makes the whole build look better. Had a slip of the hand while putting things together, bent a pin, tried to fix it, eventually broke the pin off, and now one of my dimm slots doesn't work. The system has worked fine for months, but knowing the system isn't fully functional, triggers my ocd. So now i'm on the quest to replace it.

Ive considered buying another x299 dark, but there were some things I felt were lacking on the x299 dark. Specifically, i'm appalled there are no rgb headers. I loved the fact that the board isn't covered in rgb, but knowing the prevalence of it, to not offer a single rgb header seem absurd to me. I get it, sleek black, minimalistic look, but not a single rgb header? come on. I loved the idea of having a high quality sleek minimalistic motherboard, to provide a clean canvas for other components to shine. This was my first water cooled system, I really enjoy the components, so I wanted them to shine and not have the motherboard distract from them. I think I'm over that idea. I love the x299 dark, and its the leading board to buy in my mind. I do have some rgb items like ram, gpu water block, reservoir. I had to buy an additional adapter to connect my rgb reservoir, I have no way of syncing my different rgb items. So while I love the design and minimalism that comes with the x299 dark, I find myself wanting features it doesnt have. Im not an extreme overclocker, I have a very nice custom loop to keep things quiet, but I dont find myself benchmarking or pushing the limits. Ive set my 7900x to 4.7 and left it for months.

I wanted the x299 dark to be perfect, because I felt it would match my 1080ti kingpin the best, but now that i'm looking to replace my busted motherboard, I find myself looking for more. Ive really been eying the asus rampage extreme. The rgb has really grown on me, I found myself wanting more color from the x299 dark, i know the rampage extreme is the polar opposite as far as ascetics, but I might be into that.

Now i dont think the asus extreme is without fault. Im not sold on the dimm.2 slot, I kinda feel like it makes things a bit cluttered, but the dark managed to keep everything nice and tucked away. The dark really is a dream when it comes to cable management and "openness" or spacious feeling. Building a machine on it was so easy, with so much space, it felt luxurious. The asus extreme looks a bit cluttered with 8 dimms and dimm.2 . I only have 4 dimms currently, if I was to get a 8 dimm board, I would really want more ram for aesthetic reasons.

Since I have a giant caselabs case to fill, I wanted a e-atx board, as I think they look better, and are less congested. That kinda limits my options. Pretty much evga ftw/dark, asus extreme, msi xpower gaming. I strongly dislike the looks of the asus apex, so thats not really an option.

Money is not really a factor in my decision. This was my "no limits" build, and a few hundred dollars +/- is not really a concern.

So should I just accept the faults of the dark, or is the asus extreme a viable option, do the faults of one out weight the faults of the other? I do want the best performing equipment I can buy, relative to how I would use it. Would the asus extreme perform just as well as the dark with a moderate overclock of 4.7 on a 7900x, the the MSI even worth considering?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've had like 6 x299 boards. Msi xpower is the best one. Good luck finding one though. I regret swapping to the rampage.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
The X299 OCF or the Taichi would be my pick if you don't keep the dark.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had like 6 x299 boards. Msi xpower is the best one. Good luck finding one though. I regret swapping to the rampage.
What is it about the msi xpower you really liked so much? Pro/con compared to other boards you have tried? Have you had your hands on a dark?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What is it about the msi xpower you really liked so much? Pro/con compared to other boards you have tried? Have you had your hands on a dark?
The msi is about 400 which makes it a good price for features. You get the dual m2 nvme card with the msi which you can't seem to get anywhere else. Unless you drop for a 4x hyercard or you buy the asus rampage. The vrm layout is more than enough to handle delided oc. Also every bios function works. Per core oc works great as well. The rampage I got mine for much lower than 650 so I swapped to it. It's really not worth the money. I've gone thru 2 with memory detect problems which asus mobo tech or w.e. confirmed it was a known issue. If you check the apex forums there's plenty of others. Also the msi benches higher, than the rampage, x299 designaire, x299 taichi, x299 strix, and x299 deluxe. I've considered the dark but I build hdet systems for use cases that require more than 64gb of ram so that limitation is pointless. The dark is very well built and really just wasted on ambient. Evga should of spent more time making their bios up to modern standards. The board has no safe boot which is insane. You need to clr cmos on every oc failure as far as I am aware. I had the msi with a bitspower monoblock that worked very well even with a slightly lower than stock ihs height. It's a really damn solid board that just works, without the funnies. The rampage packs stuff you will never use and you pay like almost 200 more for a vrm setup that worse than a 200 dollar taichi. You really need to be a rog fanboy to go for the rampage or just epeen this time around. I went with it cuz I got it for cheap. Had i known my msi would be better I would sold the rampage and kept the msi. Go figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts