Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was going to get the asus p6x58d-e mother board for my new build. Some people have told me that they really didn't like the fact that when they run 2 cards in slots 1&2 the top card runs really hot. So putting the cards in slots 1 & 3 are better. However, then at least with this board the bandwidth isn't x16. I think its x8 or even x1....

Is this a real factor and concern when I'm choosing my new components?
I will be playing ffxiv a lot. Was thinking about running 2 asus 5850 directcus in crossfire or 2 evga gtx 470s in sli. I know I don't need that for that game. I'm starting with 1 card and would like to get the second card if/when I need more gpu power. Just don't want to be stuck because of my motherboard choice.

Should I get a board that runs the bandwidth on the 3rd gpu slot with at least x8 or should I go with a board that does x16 on the third slot?

My setup so far:
CM HAF 932-case
Intel i7 930
Corsair h50 or h70 cpu cooler
Corsair dominator 6gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
Corsair hx 850 or ax1200 psu
ocz vertex 2 60gb ssd
WD caviar black 1tb storage hd
Windows 7 64bit
Samsung px2370 23" monitor

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
x8 won't bottleneck those GPUs, though x4 might. It's annoying that engineers spend so much time and money on PCB design but fail so hard in slot design

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Any board that has a lot of power phases if you're overclocking and has 2 x16 PCIE lanes available.

From all the reviews 2 x8 lanes there is no noticeable difference.

Try to find a good price, decent warranty from a trusted vendor, and the correct slot design for your needs.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
x8 won't bottleneck those GPUs, though x4 might. It's annoying that engineers spend so much time and money on PCB design but fail so hard in slot design

actually i believe like hardware canucks did a study weather two gpu's in x16 by x16 would get better fps then two gpu's in x16 and x4 and there was like a 3fps difference at the most so its hard to bottle neck gpu's because they dont put out the max bandwith that a x4 lane makes.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
The third PCIe slot filled making it x16/x8/x8 shouldn't affect gaming at all. HardOCP and TechPowerUp both did tests with high-end graphics cards and the difference in fps was very minimal even at x4 2.0.

Go with the Asus board you have originally planned. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
You won't need more than 1 GTX 460 or ATI equivalent for FFXIV. Save your money and SLI/Crossfire later when the prices drop (should be soon). As for your motherboard, I think you are correct in trying to find a board that will suit your future needs. I have the P6X58D and it is tough not having any slots in between the 1st and 2nd PCI-E slots. It certainly sends us owners down the single GPU route, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I digress.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
my mobo has 16x/16x/4x
there is a regular pci slot between 1 and 2

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Any board that has a lot of power phases if you're overclocking and has 2 x16 PCIE lanes available.

From all the reviews 2 x8 lanes there is no noticeable difference.

Try to find a good price, decent warranty from a trusted vendor, and the correct slot design.
any more than 8 power phases is pretty much pure marketing dude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmrballer123 View Post
actually i believe like hardware canucks did a study weather two gpu's in x16 by x16 would get better fps then two gpu's in x16 and x4 and there was like a 3fps difference at the most so its hard to bottle neck gpu's because they dont put out the max bandwith that a x4 lane makes.
yeah but it's a shame when that third slot could easily have been x16 but the stupid board designers screwed up the slot layout isn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
There have been numerous posts around here lately linking to studies showing that x16/x16, x16/x8, x8/x8, have MINIMAL differences, measured in 2-5 fps. Realistically there will be better ventilation and heat dispersion with the cards in a motherboard that runs xfire/sli on slots 1 and 3 rather than 1 and 2. Asus Rampage III Extreme works pretty well in this regard.

·

13,000 Posts
Asus Rampage III Extreme has pci-E 16x in the 1st and 3rd slots.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Keep in mind that the board you are looking at (P6X58D) will run the 3rd slot at x1 if you use slots 1 and 3. I did a quick google search and found a chat log with ASUS online support and they confirmed this.

I would look elsewhere if you are getting a board specifically to crossfire or SLI. Like other people said, I have heard good things about the Rampage III Extreme. I have also heard a lot of them come DOA but that is simple enough to RMA and fix.

Edit for reference:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=647094

·
Registered
218 Posts
If your case has room and you have a long enough SLI bridge, the bottom slot on the P6X58D series works at 8x and is quite up to the task. The problem is that these mobos don't come with a bridge long enough, so you have to get one somewhere else.

Note to BlahBlahBlah above: You'll only get 1x in slot 3 if you set slots 1 and 2 to 16x. If you go 16x-8x-8x, you'll be fine.

The new Rampage III Formula has ideal PCIe spacing for 2 cards with space between. All 3 stots are 16x... This would be my board if I didn't already have the P6X58D-E

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will that be x16 and x8 or x16 and x1..? I'm confused, how do I "set it to x16 x8 x8" or do I get a long sli bridge or both? Where do i get the sli bridge to run sli in slots 1 and 3?

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyushu View Post
Ok so I'm good with 2 asus 5850 directcu or gtx 470 gpus in slots 1 and 3?
Will that be x16 and x8 or x16 and x1..? I'm confused by the details on newegg.
I linked a reference in my above post to someone who talked to ASUS support and they said you will get x1 in Slot 3 in that config. I would recommend talking to ASUS support again before sinking any money into it..I don't know the definitive answer. Hopefully ChronoTrigger can clear it up for us

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
there was a benchmark that used 480s in 16x/16x and 8x/8x. and the difference in fps was less then one frame. so it really doesnt matter what board u get

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
Keep in mind that the board you are looking at (P6X58D) will run the 3rd slot at x1 if you use slots 1 and 3. I did a quick google search and found a chat log with ASUS online support and they confirmed this.

I would look elsewhere if you are getting a board specifically to crossfire or SLI. Like other people said, I have heard good things about the Rampage III Extreme. I have also heard a lot of them come DOA but that is simple enough to RMA and fix.

Edit for reference:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=647094
I've heard the DOA thing as well, but thankfully didn't have that problem. I would advise you however if you choose to go down that R3E road to replace the stock TIM on it before installing it. Makes a decent difference in temps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The question now is does the asus p6x58d-e with 2 gpus in slot 1 and 3 run it with x16 and x8 or x16 and x1? If it does run at x8 on the 3rd slot, what does it take to make that happen? Do I have to "set it" or do I need a longer sli bridge or both?

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
lol there's no way it is running at x1... the least would be x4.

If you populate slots 1 and 3, the board will automatically allocate 16 lanes to slot 1 and 8 lanes to slot 3.

ed: and presumably the board would come with a flexible SLI bridge that would stretch to the third slot at least.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait. Why so many different answers...
1 person gives a link showing asus tech saying x1.
1 person says x8 if you "set it" and/or have a long enough 2x sli bridge.
Now 1 person says x4.
Sigh...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts