Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Tech Enthusiast
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into get into overclocking and thought that the X79 chipset would be a good starting point for me. I got a little ahead of myself and debated putting together an Sr-2 build, but after more thought and added advice on the concept I decided against it. I primarily do a lot of CAD drafting and 3-D renderings so I wanted to atleast get a hexacore setup going with either a 4-way configuration or a professional graphics card not sure which is the best option at this point in time. I'm also looking to completely water cool the whole setup so that may play a part in the board i choose as well. I'm willing to accept all different suggestion. Thanks for reading this!
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
The Gigabyte X79-UP4 is a great board and is sold for a very good price too.

There's a detailed review here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18477560

The only issue would be negative vdroop but it has been fixed on the newer BIOSes.

That's not the absolute best board for sure but it's my top pick because it gives all the features you want along with IR PowIRstages at a very good price.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
The best overclocking X79 board hands down is the Rampage IV Extreme. Best and most numerous features, best BIOS, holds pretty much all the record OCs on X79, easy to watercool etc.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive build so there's really no point in trying to save a hundred bucks by going with a cheaper mobo.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectwise View Post

It would matter dependent on sub zero, liquid or air cooling right? Some mobos excel at sub zero but is only par for the course for liquid and air.
Do you think someone asking for advice on a board for overclocking needs advice on which boards for LN2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

The Gigabyte X79-UP4 is a great board and is sold for a very good price too.

There's a detailed review here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18477560

The only issue would be negative vdroop but it has been fixed on the newer BIOSes.

That's not the absolute best board for sure but it's my top pick because it gives all the features you want along with IR PowIRstages at a very good price.
smile.gif
Gigafail and x79 is a bad bad recipe. It took like four months to get a working bios on the up5, awesome. X79 ud3 vtt bugs... been there. Looks like the up4 had the vtt bug too lol.

·
Tech Enthusiast
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

The best overclocking X79 board hands down is the Rampage IV Extreme. Best and most numerous features, best BIOS, holds pretty much all the record OCs on X79, easy to watercool etc.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive build so there's really no point in trying to save a hundred bucks by going with a cheaper mobo.
You're right lol I don't mind price I just want to get a good board. I just read an older thread similar to this one and everyone seemed to be leaning towards RIVE, where's the best place to get it from? I was also thinking about using a 3930K and see how far I'd be able to overclock it, as far as GPUs which ones would you guys recommend? 7970s or 680s? Or should I wait until Q4 for the 8000/700 series?

Thanks everyone for your input I look forward to putting this system together!
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unethical View Post

Quote:

You're right lol I don't mind price I just want to get a good board. I just read an older thread similar to this one and everyone seemed to be leaning towards RIVE, where's the best place to get it from? I was also thinking about using a 3930K and see how far I'd be able to overclock it, as far as GPUs which ones would you guys recommend? 7970s or 680s? Or should I wait until Q4 for the 8000/700 series?

Thanks everyone for your input I look forward to putting this system together!
biggrin.gif
RIVE is the best all-around and the 2nd best is the RIVF especially if you're on a tighter budget. The pcie switch block is to die for.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Do you think someone asking for advice on a board for overclocking needs advice on which boards for LN2???.
Why are you screaming at me.

I would think people in any position are or should be open to advice and suggestions. Plus I was just asking a question cus I don't know. I'm also looking to upgrade over my current z68.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
3930K is a good idea, performs exactly like the extreme editions.

I have no clue on places where to get it since I live in the EU

as for GPUs, if what you do can utilize double precision/CUDA go with GTX Titans, if you're mainly working with openCL that prefer AMD cards then go with 7970s, etc. But the main point is that GPUs depend on the programs you're running.

·
Tech Enthusiast
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

RIVE is the best all-around and the 2nd best is the RIVF especially if you're on a tighter budget. The pcie switch block is to die for.
Alright thanks for the info, and yea I won't be doing any heavy benching/overclocking just yet.
RIVE it is! by the way guys I already have an Aerocool Strike X St and EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500w psu so which GPUs do you think I should shoot for?
and btw TSM be nice lol no need to attack the poor guy
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Gigafail and x79 is a bad bad recipe. It took like four months to get a working bios on the up5, awesome. X79 ud3 vtt bugs... been there. Looks like the up4 had the vtt bug too lol.
Yeah but the X79-UP4 is second gen. and doesn't suffer from those problems.

The only "problem" was negative vdroop (but it's not a problem if you take it into account when overclocking) and it's been fixed whatsoever.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Quote:

Yeah but the X79-UP4 is second gen. and doesn't suffer from those problems.

The only "problem" was negative vdroop (but it's not a problem if you take it into account when overclocking) and it's been fixed whatsoever.
Go read the up5 thread, yea 2nd gen x79 fail, and come back here with the same confidence?

·
Tech Enthusiast
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

3930K is a good idea, performs exactly like the extreme editions.

I have no clue on places where to get it since I live in the EU

as for GPUs, if what you do can utilize double precision/CUDA go with GTX Titans, if you're mainly working with openCL that prefer AMD cards then go with 7970s, etc. But the main point is that GPUs depend on the programs you're running.
Sounds good I'm going to be working with openCL so AMD is it, but should i wait for the newer GPUs to come out or just go for the 7970s? Thanks for all the info Alatar

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
7970's or Titan's. No new gpu's till Q4.

Also you will want to watercool all this. If you still have enough moneis get a caselabs or littledevil case.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unethical View Post

Sounds good I'm going to be working with openCL so AMD is it, but should i wait for the newer GPUs to come out or just go for the 7970s? Thanks for all the info Alatar
AMD wont have anything faster than the 7970 GHz edition this year. If they're releasing anything new for the high end it's going to be in Q4 at the very earliest.

And I would still check the specific programs and find benchies for those. Just "OpenCL use" is still a bit vague and doesn't tell that much.

On the gaming side 4x GTX Titan is the fastest setup atm. (same goes for theoretical compute performance as well SP and DP)

·
Tech Enthusiast
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingforlife View Post

7970's. No new gpu's till Q4.

Also you will want to watercool all this. If you still have enough moneis get a caselabs or littledevil case.
Alright, I already have an Aerocool Strike X St Case and an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500w PSU, I think I can make it work, what kind of rad sizes do you think I should go with? That case has a high airflow from the looks of it or the way i plan to make it work. I was thinking maybe a dual 180 uptop or a dual 200 because I was loving the Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED fans. Before when i was debating an Sr-2 I was thinking about using a phobya 1260 rad with quad 200s lol not sure how'd that work out though.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
I vote for the rampage IV Extreme. With a nice block. (Or any Rampage IV, Gene, Formula)

(Second choice if you need MANY slots: Asrock x79 Extreme 11)

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Minimum of 480mm for the GPUs and 240mm for the CPU.

The phobya 1260 would be a good idea as it gives you plenty of RAD space. You could do one loop with that RAD and 2 D5 pumps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.