Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://betanews.com/2016/05/04/windows-10-ruins-pro-gaming-stream/#comments
Quote:
Last week a Windows 10 forced upgrade did its best to ruin a weather forecast on live television, and this week the new operating system started an update right in the middle of a gaming session being streamed live on Twitch.

During the stream of Counter Strike: Global Offensive, full-time pro-gamer Erik "fl0m" Flom was rudely interrupted as Windows 10 decided that mid-game -- in front of 130,000 or so followers -- would be the best time to start an update.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had the graphics driver being updated in the middle of a game.

run -> services.msc -> windows update > disable.

never again, man.

This practical joke of a O.S will never enter my company computers.

·
Overclocked
87 Posts
You can enable notification of updates without auto install by using the group policy editor.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oced View Post

You can enable notification of updates without auto install by using the group policy editor.
Until they decide that you can no longer do that (see the other Windows 10 news thread on the front page).

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The store thread is legit and all, stupid move and hopefully no one thinks otherwise but this...no, W10 didn't do anything. It did what it was supposed to do and configured to do. If he forgot his restarts are marked to a certain time it's somehow Windows fault? No, it's the fault of the person behind the monitor.

Some topics/articles really are taking things way too far.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post

Wow, I knew Microsoft was bad, but now they're sending dudes to hide behind your computer?
So, what you're trying to imply is that it's Microsoft's fault that some "pro gamer" doesn't know you can actually disable automatic update restarts?

·
Overclocker
11,639 Posts
Only shows that pro gamers aren't that good and can't configure their system right. This is a user error not system issue. You can always tell it to notify only and not download nor install nor restart. It has been set to automatically download and install and restart if necessary since automatic updates have been added to Windows decade or two ago.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

So, what you're trying to imply is that it's Microsoft's fault that some "pro gamer" doesn't know you can actually disable automatic update restarts?
I'm just wondering what sort of contraption you're using where the user sits behind the monitor and not in front of it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post

I'm just wondering what sort of contraption you're using where the user sits behind the monitor and not in front of it.
Damn it.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
956 Posts
You don't use a mirror?

I always thought the ergonomics of sitting behind my monitor made a lot of sense, being able to access those pesky input cables is really great
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It is not a contraption he uses, it is the Force.

• Rep+
Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Yeah, make fun of the guy that doesn't use English as his first language
tonguesmiley.gif

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
I've been using W10 since launch and I don't recall ever being interrupted by Windows, except when I forgot to disable filter keys/sticky keys. The entire discussion is so stupid. The new update system is way better than Windows 7. On Windows 7, you'd get the "Windows will update in 15 minutes" pop-up in the background. Unless you happened to alt-tab, it'd just restart all of a sudden. The new system keeps an eye on whether you are using the PC. Next time you are approaching the scheduled update time, try just ignoring it and continuing your browsing or whatever. It should delay the update, I've seen it do so multiple times. Not sure if that feature is unavailable with fullscreen games.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Twitch followers does not equal the amount of people currently watching. Bit disingenuous, considering I've never seen fl0ms stream crack 3000 current viewers.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Only shows that pro gamers aren't that good and can't configure their system right. This is a user error not system issue. You can always tell it to notify only and not download nor install nor restart. It has been set to automatically download and install and restart if necessary since automatic updates have been added to Windows decade or two ago.
I had every legitimate option disabled on the menus windows 10 provided at the time. Yet it still happened.

A user should not know how to access gpedit.msc or services.msc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok why is this news? Any admin worth their salt at a broadcast company or any "pro" gamer should know to turn off updates and do them manually when they won't interrupt a stream or broadcast. Oh god windows is doing what you told it to?!?!?!? How can this be!!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

I had the graphics driver being updated in the middle of a game.

run -> services.msc -> windows update > disable.

never again, man.

This practical joke of a O.S will never enter my company computers.
Your company should be using the enterprise or pro edition and have updates controlled by a server/GPO. This would never occur in a properly set up domain. And.....if this guy was using the Pro edition of windows 10 he could turn this off. He cannot blame the OS for something that he failed to do. I have not once had a machine reboot in the middle of doing anything because i have adjusted the settings correctly.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,540 Posts
Not surprised

1 - 20 of 82 Posts