Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
Survival Mode is something many of us realized we wanted to experiment with once we had spent quality time playtesting Fallout 4 toward the end of its development. At launch, we discovered many of you wanted the same thing. So how did these changes come about?

Two of our designers, Josh Hamrick and Jon Paul Duvall, used our internal Game Jam to visualize what an overhauled Survival Mode might look like in Fallout 4. Thanks to their Game Jam success, we then added several programmers, and they built out many of the ideas we'd all been setting aside while playtesting.

Today, we would like to show you our changes to Survival Mode - how they work and why we added them. We'll be somewhat vague about the specifics of certain things because we're looking forward to you discovering them on your own and with each other.

If you're playing Fallout 4, you can jump onto Steam and grab the Survival Mode Beta. Try it out and be sure to send us feedback in our Survival Mode Beta forum! Some of the items discussed below may change or may have already changed. Watch your step…

Quote:
Tough Choices

At a high level, we wanted to force you to make interesting choices. We did that by bringing more contrasting motivations to Fallout 4 using the type of circular systems you might find in a game like Dark Souls. (By which we mean, two or more systems that push against each other.) This resulted in four major pillars for Survival Mode.

1. Strategy: Intensify decisions involving when to get into combat versus when to avoid it, and also make you think more about what gear to take into combat. Then back up those decisions with faster, more brutal fights.
  2. Exploration: Slow down the pace of the game and encourage players to explore the nooks and crannies of the world.
  3. Resource Management: Balance out items in the world that may be too easy to acquire or horde, giving players more to consider when planning their current loadout.
  4. Role Playing: Increase the realism of the world and the issues one might face there.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Nice to see a developer putting effort into the game well after release.

Can't wait to try it.
I think your avatar says it all, really.

Edit: After a thorough reading...this is what a post-nuclear wasteland survival game should have been. I am excite.

·
User
2,334 Posts
inb4 50 years to find tape and screws

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Nice, will make things a bit more challenging then - without a level cap it's not too hard to get way overpowered (and bullet sponge enemies are boring).

Quote:
Exploration: Slow down the pace of the game and encourage players to explore the nooks and crannies of the world.
Ummmm this is already Fallout we're talking about here lol.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm really looking forward to trying this out! I really like FO4 and love the idea of survival with not bullet sponge enemies.

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed117 View Post

Overall i feel they did a great job with fallout 4(too bad my rig struggles with it XD)
I've had very few crashes(can't believe i'm saying that)
I agree. In 300+ hours, I've had 2 CTD happen.

And zero broken quests.

Quite a difference from Skyrim.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:

Yes, effort. When someone spends time making something they had zero obligation to do, they should be commended for it.

Maybe it might start an industry trend. Wouldn't that be nice.
So you mean...like patches?
Also, they might not have obligation but they certainly have motivation since there is still DLC is coming out.

·
OC Enthusiast
1,054 Posts
now this sounds more like pc gaming
i just hope these aspects are well put together.
the original is way too easy, dull, lack of innovation..it look like they copied borderlands lol

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

So you mean...like patches?
Also, they might not have obligation but they certainly have motivation since there is still DLC is coming out.
Patches are an obligation.

This survival mode is free for everyone that bought the base game.

As long as we are getting improvements for free, I'm not seeing the downside.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:

Patches are an obligation.

This survival mode is free for everyone that bought the base game.

As long as we are getting improvements for free, I'm not seeing the downside.
You act like this is something completely new like free DLC when they just changed their survival difficulity.

Again, This was ingame but they changed some stuff about it. Of course it is free, how else would they do it? Cut the difficulity out of base game and sell on it's own?

I am not saying this ain't good but you make it sound a lot more than it actually is.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
Sure they "just" changed their survival difficulty, but they did it in a way that, to me, makes it an entirely different experience. It's more of a change than most things that do get sold as DLC involve, and it's free.

Is it really that unreasonable to be happy about it?

People can be downright ungrateful for a favor.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Oh i forgot how it woks.

Point out facts without actually saying something bad about it and you are suddenly called ungrateful.

Internet logic i swear...

Just delete my posts and go on then.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
Quote:

Oh i forgot how it woks.

Point out facts without actually saying something bad about it and you are suddenly called ungrateful.

Internet logic i swear...

Just delete my posts and go on then.
Yeah, because you said this:
Quote:

I am not saying this ain't good but you make it sound a lot more than it actually is.
"naw man, it's no big deal, you shouldn't be so excited" does count as "saying something bad."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts