Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, some of you may know I had a ASUS P4PE MB with a P4 2.4a Northwood CPU overclocked to 3.15ghz without a problem. I just put in a ASUS P4C800E Deluxe and can't even get 3.0 ghz stable? What's the deal? I have 1 stick of 1GB Kingston PC3200 memory and the mem times r the loosest. What could it be? All help appreciated, thanx! O yea, my idle temps are 30C on the CPU and 22 on the MB. No more than 42C underload for the CPU. I have really superb fan cooling, but don't know whats going on. I have spread spectrum disabled and most all unused IRQs also disabled.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Do you have the latest bios? Are you voltages set the same as they were on your old mobo? Hmmm, that's a tough one. I hope you didn't get a bad board. Did you also make sure the pci/agp bus is locked?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I'll just run through the basics.

1. Lock AGP/PCI bus
2. Try reducing the RAM:CPU ratio (just test it)
3. Make sure you have the latest updates (just incase)
4. unplug as much stuff as you can (fans, CD-Drive, PCI Cards) just o test your PSU.
I'm thinking thaat it's not motherboard related. More Coincidence i think.
5. Don't forget to adjust the voltage.

That's asmuch as i can recommend to do or check...

Just keep looking for settings in the bios that may make a difference. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O yea, the mem speed has been lowered. curropted my hard drive running at the higher speed. agp bus is locked. bios is most recent with the latest revision. whether i raise or lower the voltage it doesnt seem to help me to be able to pass the 3.0 mark. this sux, i thought with a better board id be more flexible.any other possibilities? if its a bad board how could i tell? is this board any good to begin with?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o yea, one thing that happened after i put in this new board was that right next to the IE1394 pins on the opposite side of the CPU sparked and let out a small spark ball. i looked at the board near the pins and it has a small black spot. i wiped off the soot and im on the computer and have been using the computer. i dunno if this would affect the overclocking the board in any way. i will post pix of what im talking about if it could help you diagnose it any better. just let me know if you guys would like to see it.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
WTH caused the spark??? That's not a good sign. Could very well be the problem. Yeah, can you post a pic so I can get a look at the traces/components near the 1394 pins?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper62382

sure, gimme 5 minutes, lemme open the case and snap a photo, ill BRB.

If you can, try to get a nice close up pic with lots of light.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

check it out:

Important or non-important?

Let me check some references, be right back.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I cant find anything definitive, but what you have burned there is a tiny little mosfet, which helps feed power to specific components. I don't own an Asus board, so I cant track down the trace. But chances are that has a lot do to with your problem. How old is the board? Can you take it back to the store? If not, sounds like RMA time.

p.s. did it do this the first time you turned it on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95
I cant find anything definitive, but what you have burned there is a tiny little mosfet, which helps feed power to specific components. I don't own an Asus board, so I cant track down the trace. But chances are that has a lot do to with your problem. How old is the board? Can you take it back to the store? If not, sounds like RMA time.

p.s. did it do this the first time you turned it on?

Bought the MB from COMPUSA. threw out the box, damn it. it funny thing is that it didnt do this the first time. ti did it while i happened to have the side case cover off. so even if that part is not connected directly to the cpu, it may still affect total peformance of the system? EEK! i just wish i knew what that thing controlled so my mind can be at ease and i could figure out whats wrong exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yeah, there are traces, read: circuits, all over the motherboard. They are also layered, so there are several on top of each other. A burn on any part of the board can affect the cpu, or any other component for that matter. If I had the board in front of me, I could possibly track down the trace that attaches to that burn point and give you a definate answer. That sucks bro, I'm sorry. I would first call Compusa and see what they say. Knowing them, they won't do anything. If not, that is a problem that is a manufacturers defect, so you can RMA the board back to Asus, and they will replace it, but you have to pay for shipping. The only bad part about that is it usually takes a few weeks for the whole RMA process.

Edit: Hmm, you said it happened with the side cover off? I wonder if static electricity caused this. And you did make sure to put the motherboard on the little standoffs that keep it away from the case right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95
Edit: Hmm, you said it happened with the side cover off? I wonder if static electricity caused this. And you did make sure to put the motherboard on the little standoffs that keep it away from the case right?

Yea ofcourse. ive put together more than 20 computers together, and this is the first hardware problem ive ever had. im gonna go and get a new Mb today. ill let you know if it helps in any way. ill keep you updated. thanx for everything so far.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Yea ofcourse. ive put together more than 20 computers together, and this is the first hardware problem ive ever had. im gonna go and get a new Mb today. ill let you know if it helps in any way. ill keep you updated. thanx for everything so far.

Yeah, no problem. Sorry, didn't now you had experience, just making sure
Keep us posted.

• Rep+
Reactions: Viper62382
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.