Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me whether I can expect better gaming performance via overclocking my 720BE using a boosted FSB and lower multi or will it not matter?

I've overclocked using just the multi/voltage at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize I could just try it and find out but I was hoping someone may have the answer and then I wouldn't have wasted any time?!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The difference will be negligible. IIRC, this method is good for users of lower quality ram because the CPU multiplier and mem divisor are somehow related, cant remember how, and having a lower cpu multiplier will give you a higher mem divider.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
In this day and age, FSB vs Multiplier overclocking doesn't make a noticable difference. You might gain like 50-100 points in Vantage, and 0 FPS in real games.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the above - the difference will be negligible. Basically an FSB overclock will overclock every single thing on your computer whilst your multiplier overclock will only overclock that specific component. I guess you know that already. The point I'm trying to make is that though you can achieve the same results with a FSB overclock, you're overclocking everything and that's not necessarily a good thing. Basically your HyperTransport link should lie between 1800MHz and 2200MHz (never more, never less) but should really be left alone at 2000MHz if possible. FSB overclocks will mess with this balance requiring you to go fairly high with the FSB so that the lower HyperTransport multiplier will give you 2000MHz or close to it. Then there's the question whether the rest of the components you just overclocked will also balance.

The moral of the story: If you have a Black Edition CPU, use it - overclock only through multipliers if possible. You should only tweak the FSB when you've basically achieved a stable maximum overclock and think you can squeeze out a tiny, tiny bit more (think 40-60MHz) or your overclock is pretty much stable but not quite so you want to lower it a bit (again think 40-60MHz).

Besides, you can always overclock the CPU by multiplier, then the CPU/NB by another multiplier, then the RAM by another multiplier and its timings, etc, etc. Everything individually is much, much better as you can afford to do one thing at a time and test for stability as you go. This way if your computer exhibits crashing, you know what it is that's causing it, allowing you to go back and tweak the voltage to stabilise that specific component.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is because I realize it'll affect everything else on the system and is why I was wondering if there'd be a gain in frames-per-second while gaming. At least in theory I was expecting that overclocking the FSB would gain FPS as a result since the FSB would be clocked higher. I'm already clocked very nicely and actually was asking in another thread if I could reasonably see a performance boost in a different configuration. But check the specs:

720BE @ 3.4 1.375v w/ the NB @ 2.8 1.2v & HT @ 2.0 (3 cores; 4th is very unstable)

That paired with incredibly fast ram:

OCZ 1600EB @ 1600 7-6-6-20 2T (8GB)

I'm just wondering if 200Mhz more w/ a lowered NB would result in better performance (real world/gaming) or leave it where it's at (pretty damn good w/ my GTX260).

Any suggestions always welcome! The more the better!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Nah the extra CPU clock speed wouldn't really make a difference. Your CPU/NB overclock is great, keep it if you can. Your RAM's very good too!
I'm concerned about that 4th core though. Why keep it unlocked if it's unstable?
Perhaps some more CPU voltage can do it though. I'm not really an expert in unlocking the extra cores.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
Nah the extra CPU clock speed wouldn't really make a difference. Your CPU/NB overclock is great, keep it if you can. You RAM's very good too!
I'm concerned about that 4th core though. Why keep it unlocked if it's unstable?
Perhaps some more CPU voltage can do it though. I'm not really an expert in unlocking the extra cores.
Oh god no, it's not being kept unlocked at all. I've tried it unlocked at many voltages, underclocked, everything you can think of. No-go on that fourth core! Which is fine, I never expected a miracle anyways. Would have been nice though! =)

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
when your fsb goes up the the ram speed followes it, so higher fsb is good most of the time
Indeed, but I'm already doing very well with 1600Mhz ram, especially since it's clocked at 7-6-6-20!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Oh god no, it's not being kept unlocked at all. I've tried it unlocked at many voltages, underclocked, everything you can think of. No-go on that fourth core! Which is fine, I never expected a miracle anyways. Would have been nice though! =)
Hehe cool, sounds reasonable. X3 is very good anyway and your overclock is very good - good work!
Just remember that a lot of the X2 and X3 processors out there are basically X4 processors but with one or two cores disabled. Some of them are actually that those one or two cores were defective and unstable, hence they were sold as X2s/X3s. The idea was to increase production yield in this manner. You might have been unlucky and got yourself a failed X4 instead of a disabled X4!
No matter.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I really need to do is borrow a 955/965 from someone to see if I get better FPS with my GTX 260. That's what I'm really after... I'll just have to wait for prices to drop and/or hope someone will buy my 720 off CL.

I can't seem to find any information on a 720 being a bottleneck for a 260, but I assume it's very likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts