Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys

When playing BF:BC2 the temperature of the GPU (Sapphire HD 5850 custom PCB) rises to 91-92°C max and the fan is spinning at 79% max. With ME2 there was no such issue (I didn't check the temperature but the fan was quiet).
Is it safe to play the game? Or is the GPU too hot?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenStone
View Post

The card isn't overclocked and I have the Catalyst 10.6 installed, Win7 64bit.

Try going back to 10.5. A lot of people are having problems with 10.6 and BFBC2.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, will do. I think using Driver Sweeper is recommended? Will post the results when the testing is completed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok, will do. I think using Driver Sweeper is recommended? Will post the results when the testing is completed.

Uninstall ATi drivers and any Nvidia from control panel, install driver sweeper, reboot in safe mode, run driver sweeper and remove all ATi and any Nvidia drivers if they are found. Then reboot and install 10.5.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot! The temperature has dropped to 74°C. By the way, do you know how to re-lock the ATI overdrive?

EDIT: reinstalling didn't help with the lock.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks a lot! The temperature has dropped to 74°C. By the way, do you know how to re-lock the ATI overdrive?

EDIT: reinstalling didn't help with the lock.

It should have locked it back up when you reinstalled - thats weird. Anyway once you un-lock it stays unlocked. As long as you keep the two boxes un-ticked, it keeps the features disabled anyway. If you want better fan control download MSI Afterburner and you can set a fan curve.
Heres mine:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
mines never goes above 50c in the most intense gaming overclocked.

Which Sapphire model do you have? I have mw2 edition

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, apparently my core clock was locked to 400Mhz after the reinstall. As you've mentioned, unchecking the boxes in overdrive restored the default settings (and the 725MHz clock if needed) and this lead back to the 91°C GPU temperature....hmmm

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hrmmm.....I use MSI Afterburner to monitor my GPU temps. While overclocked at 925/1250 I can set the fan to 35% and it usually loads at 68 C. Maybe the cooler isn't seated properly. Have you modded the card in any way?

I'd suggest trying a stress test just to see what kind of temps you get with different fan speeds. If you do decide to do some testing, then make sure you stop the test if your temps get out of control.

MSI Afterburner: Overclocking, temps and fan profile.
Kombuster: Stress testing
GPU-Z: Good for monitoring clocks and GPU/VRM temps

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenStone View Post
Ok, apparently my core clock was locked to 400Mhz after the reinstall. As you've mentioned, unchecking the boxes in overdrive restored the default settings (and the 725MHz clock if needed) and this lead back to the 91°C GPU temperature....hmmm
Is it 91c idle or load? What fan speed you using?
Did you read the 400MHz core clock off overdrive or MSI afterburner?

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Tried reseating the Cooler and paste?

Iirc, Sapphire has a reference design cooler, but my 5850 gets to a max of 65C in games, and that's at Auto fan speed (Around 40 - 60%), and it's overclocked.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
wow, mine never goes above 55 deg., not even my sli gtx260's go above 62 degrees.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 91°C is while playing BF:BC2 and according to GPU-Z it demands 100% of GPU's capabilities. With this temperature the fan speed rises to 79% (about 3600 RPM).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With MSI Kombustor I get 95-96°C after 5min and 79% fan speed. As soon as the temperature is over 90°C the card downcloacks to 550MHz core and 900MHz memory.
Resetting the cooler isn't an option as I wouldn't like to void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:

With MSI Kombustor I get 95-96°C after 5min and 79% fan speed. As soon as the temperature is over 90°C the card downcloacks to 550MHz core and 900MHz memory.
Resetting the cooler isn't an option as I would like to void the warranty.
It could have a faulty temperature sensor but it's probably more likely that it isn't seated properly. I suggest you RMA that card because there's clearly something wrong. Unless, you neglected to tell us your computer is located on the sun with ambient temps of 1,000,000,000 C.

Out of curiosity, what are your ambient temps and what kind airflow does your case have?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a way to check it with the motherboard or the pc? Right now, it should be 25°C outside. Well, I will then write an e-mail to the retailer, let's see what they say.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:

Is there a way to check it with the motherboard or the pc? Right now, it should be 25°C outside. Well, I will then write an e-mail to the retailer, let's see what they say.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was away from my PC. If you don't have a way of measuring your ambient temperature, that's fine. I assume you'd know if it was 35+ C inside your house. Does your case have good airflow? I imagine you wouldn't have any problems with an ATCS 840, so it's probably just the card.

Like I said earlier, it could be the sensor or the card is actually getting that hot due to improper seating of the cooler.

You shouldn't have a problem getting an RMA for a problem like this. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think you got a fermi

Mine doesn't go above 65c with a bout 1% fan speed per ° and thats a 975/1225 @ 1.25v. Take off your side panel and place a fan facing your card and see if that helps. Also I don't think reapplying the TIM voids warranty. I cleaned out my heatsink and TIM and it dropped my temps by 9c.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts