Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you can see in my stats ive got a decent processor and a nice 7800 gt video card, but i still cant run bf2 on all high settings. ive go the latest 81.98 dirvers for the card and everything. i also get about a 7500 on 3dmark05 everytime w/ no ocing.

i guess my first question is should i be able to run bf2 on all high? 2)is my ram holding me back bc im adding another gig soon? 3) i just got FEAR and havent tweaked it much, but i have to set the settings down to pretty much medium on everything and turn vsync off (and yes, soft shadows are off).

basically im just wondering if i got a bad video card or if my ram is really holding me back that much.

·
Registered
825 Posts
yea man the main problem is your ram you dont have enuff and you need to install the nvidia drivers that come with the BF2 CD and you need abought 2 GB to run on high and then on that its still not super smoth i got this info from total bf2 i would link you to the page but the fourm is locked win i went to get the link read the readme in the bf2 file it will tell you to run on high you just need 1 GB but every one on the fourm was saying they have 2 and its still a little jerky on high this is only couse the textures so turn it all up but the textures and thin you will see if that is it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob?

as you can see in my stats ive got a decent processor and a nice 7800 gt video card, but i still cant run bf2 on all high settings. ive go the latest 81.98 dirvers for the card and everything. i also get about a 7500 on 3dmark05 everytime w/ no ocing.

i guess my first question is should i be able to run bf2 on all high? 2)is my ram holding me back bc im adding another gig soon? 3) i just got FEAR and havent tweaked it much, but i have to set the settings down to pretty much medium on everything and turn vsync off (and yes, soft shadows are off).

basically im just wondering if i got a bad video card or if my ram is really holding me back that much.

I'm able to run FEAR at max settings with no problem and the only difference I have is 2gig RAM. So yeah I guess that's what is holding you back.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
yeah it's the RAM I ran into the same thing w/ Quake 4. on ultra settings the game ran all coppy, but if I put it on high I was alright. I borrowed my bro's RAM so I had 4x512 just to see and it fixed the problem

·
Registered
208 Posts
yes, with hmaxxed settings in bf2 game ram usage is about 1.12GB, all you have is 1gb, which is being used by the os as well, so thats the problem.

ever so slightly 2gb is becommign th estandar asmmount of ram to play games on maxxed settings, that and a 3ghz cpu

·
Registered
907 Posts
hey i was runnig bf2 on 512mb all on low though and it was fine for 5 secs then froze lol from what i have herd bf2 eats ram its one of the most demanding games as far as memory goes . You could have a 6600gt and a 3200 and 2gb of ram and it would run faster than a 4400+ and 1900xtx its just the memory thats all hope this helps and buy buying that ram will improve everything and the same for all your games as well

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, seems like the ram is definitely the problem. next question: presently i have 2x512, how much of a difference is 2x1 gb gonna be compared to 4x512? it would be a lot easier for me just to get 2 more 512 sticks, but if its gonna improve performance a lot i guess i could sell my 2x512 and buy 2x1 gb sticks.

anybody got an opinion about 4x512 vs 2x1 gb?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
BF2 will need 2GB to run everything maxed out and run smoothly...i know thta Mr.Mumbles had some trouble with that with 1GB and a 7800GT....then he got another 1GB stick and it works awsome now

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob?

ok, seems like the ram is definitely the problem. next question: presently i have 2x512, how much of a difference is 2x1 gb gonna be compared to 4x512? it would be a lot easier for me just to get 2 more 512 sticks, but if its gonna improve performance a lot i guess i could sell my 2x512 and buy 2x1 gb sticks.

anybody got an opinion about 4x512 vs 2x1 gb?

I will persoanlly go 2x1GB but you'll be fine with 4x512 sticks but you cannot change it from 2T to 1T using a four channels, I forget the reason why but i think it has something to do from pulling from all the Channels and not being stable, it's possbile but you need single sided RAM?? (someone correct me if Im wrong) . If you can get 2x1GB of RAM go for it, but make sure you get the same exact timings as the RAM you currently have if you go 2x512 route, it might suffer a little bit but it will still play BF2 on High Settings

You could actually go with 1 more stick of 512 and be ok and not jumping to 2GB. So if you're really strapped jsut get 1 more stick and you'll be good to go

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It's your Command Rate...what specificly is it, I'm not sure. All I know is 1T is faster than 2T but 2T is more stable once you start OC'ing the hell out of it

You change all this in your DIMM settings, or where ever your RAM timings are. Some BIOS' don't offer you to change your command rate, depends on the board you're using

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, i know nothing about changing any of the ram settings and actually i havent changed a factory setting w/ any of my hardware. but, if i get 2 more sticks of the exact same ram w/ the same timings should it be fine and require no tweaking?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts