Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , i just started BF2 Back up, and ill be playing this for a while (I hope).
I have 1 problem though , when im playing , its really really jittery.

An example: I move the crosshair 10 inches to the left - It then moves it back to 8 inches ... thats lag for sure.

Anyone know how to fix this? Any commands that you might now?

Anyone's help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
connect to better servers... defrag... and if you are using your internet connection be sure to allow for a little overhead...

if you're router support QoS/Traffic Shaping enable it...

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Definately The Servers, I Get That Sometimes Too In Bf2 , Theres A List That Ea Games Can Send You Of The Ports That Need To Be Open To Have A Better Connection , They Sent It To Me Awhile Ago , And I Opened All The Ports Thru My Router And Isp Provider That Helped Alot...helps With Disconnects Too

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys , i apreciate it.

As for that list of ports that EA could send me , how do i go about doing that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by str8maniac
View Post

Also make sure you aren't using any torrent clients because they murder your connection.

Lol , Thats funny , I was downloading Three Movies at the time. But i have Firber Optics (FIOS) - 15Mbps down.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
if you have a decent router... you shouldn't need to forward any ports for bf2 to work correctly...

forwarding should only be required when running the server...

Server Ports:
UDP 27900
UDP/TCP 29900
TCP 80
TCP 4711
TCP 29901
UDP 1500-4999
UDP/TCP 1024-1124
UDP 28910
UDP 16567
UDP 55123-55125

but you can help reduce lag by configuring your routers QoS/Traffic Shaping to route this ports at High Priority.

i normally have 3 systems on my lan running bf2 at the same time... with no lag issues...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This is only happening in multiplayer? All these port fixes and things aren't gonna do jack if it happens in SP as well.

You'll definitely wanna do a spyware/virus check followed by a disk clean up, disk check at reboot and a disk defragment. My system is a lot crappier than yours, but the game runs fine because I keep the scans regular, do disk cleanups often, and I keep the disk regularly defragmented with Diskeeper.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Check out my BF2 lag FAQ, it should solve some common performance issues.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/98915-...et-better.html

Note that bittorrent will use all of your bandwidth, no matter how much you have. That's probably causing your issues but the FAQ is still a good read.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
View Post

Hey thanks guys , i apreciate it.

As for that list of ports that EA could send me , how do i go about doing that?

Lol , Thats funny , I was downloading Three Movies at the time. But i have Firber Optics (FIOS) - 15Mbps down.

Doesn't matter what your connection is, it still creates high pings. That is definitely what's causing your problem.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ugh if I had read that part originally I wouldn't have bothered typing out all the fixes. Turn that stuff off before you play ANY online game. If you don't, expect problems. Games are designed to run using all of your system resources... you can't tie them up with other applications. Turn off all those chat clients and things as well.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris4ka
View Post

Doesn't matter what your connection is, it still creates high pings. That is definitely what's causing your problem.

i normally have a few ftp transfers, a few vpn tunnels, and a bittorrent transfer or 4 running... and can still play bf2 with a <35ms ping on good servers...

but all of my apps are configured to not abuse the connection

if you're choking your upload or your download... you're going to have ping issues...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarton
View Post

Ugh if I had read that part originally I wouldn't have bothered typing out all the fixes. Turn that stuff off before you play ANY online game. If you don't, expect problems. Games are designed to run using all of your system resources... you can't tie them up with other applications. Turn off all those chat clients and things as well.

hehe... i'm normally connected to a few IRC servers and in a few dozen channels too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

Note that bittorrent will use all of your bandwidth, no matter how much you have. That's probably causing your issues but the FAQ is still a good read.

any decent bt client should have options to throttle traffic... proper configuration of the transfer settings are a responsibility of the user though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts