Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought BF2142. Most of me wanting to just play a good game, but a good part of me wanting to see if this add hype is as bad as it sounds. After 6 hours of playing I had yet to see an add until this morning. Pics are below. Note that these are 2 different advertisements on the same level. Rather, two different billboards.

I am in the middle of trying to upload a video of it onto Youtube but it is saying its to large, anyone know of a free program I can use to lower the resolution or make the file smaller?

EDIT: The video is uploading to google now... should be availabe for viewing in afew years.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
see now... is that really so bad?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
I'm not complaining; dosn't bother me at all. Nobody raised this much fuss when BurgerKing or other companies were in the NFS games.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yea, that's what i'm saying. I'd rather have advertisements for stuff I'd buy than stuff i wouldn't buy. Anyway, if this works out as well as EA hopes it will, hopefully the price of games will drop another $5-10.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804 View Post
see now... is that really so bad?
It is, you're paying full retail price for a game that will be ads within them

If the game was offered at a discounted price then it wouldn't be so bad...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
this is the first time they're testing it out. Give them a bit and the price will hopefully fall because of this...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804 View Post
this is the first time they're testing it out. Give them a bit and the price will hopefully fall because of this...
They sold the game knowing they will fill it with spyware, there is no need to "test" first.

They should have been offering it at a discounted price from day 1

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
*shrugs* everyone has to make money. If people will still buy the game at $60 or $50 or what ever it is, then they will sell it at that.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I still don't like it. Why would I pay full price for an ad ridden game? If the game was say 20 bucks I wouldn't mind. I just don't like this.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well, i actually think it ads realism to the game.
Like in Gran Turismo series, it costs the same as the other games, but it ads lots of realism having advertisementns all over the racetrack.
I will buy that game , and i won't be bothered at all with ads....

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess ill chime in here since everyone else is. As for as I am concerned, my experience so far with BF2142 has lead me to believe that despite the advertising, the game is still worth the 54 dollars I paid for it. Im having a great deal of fun with the game, and in the end, thats what matters. I feel I got my money's worth. As for the advertising, I have one problem with it. And no, its not about the money. The problem I have is the advertising takes you out of the futuristic world in which you are trying to immerse yourself while playing. Imagining yourself in the battlefields of the future is very hard to do when you see an advertisement for a current day product. I couldnt care less about the price not dropping because of the advertisement. For all I know some of the money they are making will go towards making a better game tomorrow, or improving/fixing BF2142 in a more timely manner. And if it does, then sure, ill put up with afew billboards in each level, if it means a more stable less hacked game. Only time will tell though.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
View Post

Like in Gran Turismo series, it costs the same as the other games, but it ads lots of realism having advertisementns all over the racetrack.

Minor difference....Gran Tursimo doesn't snoop in your browsing history or read your ISP to target ads AT you.

Big difference between seeing a Coke billboard at a race event and seeing an ad for the Meal Deal at KFC down the street in BF 2142.

BTW, how is it "realistic" to see an ad for a Core 2 Duo CPU in a game set in 2142?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
View Post

It seems the only ones complaining are those with AMD chips. you must really not like Intel.

lol

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
View Post

OH ya, cause in 2142, I'm REALLY gonna want a core 2 duo!

Lol. these ads are ridiculous.

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
View Post

Minor difference....Gran Tursimo doesn't snoop in your browsing history or read your ISP to target ads AT you.

Neither does BF2142, atleast for the browsing history part. While they do find out what your IP address is, it is in order to keep the adds in a language you can understand (ie, you will be getting adds in english, someone from spain will be getting them in spanish, etc, etc) they dont look at your browsing history. Also, I really dont see why everyone calls it spyware. The fact of the matter is it is FULLY DISCLOSED when you purchase the game and read the flyer about it they have inside.

http://battlefield2142.ea.com/battle...ws_101906.aspx

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
The flyer's inside. Not on the outside. If you to pick this game up with no prior knowledge, you wouldn't know about the ads - on any level - until you opened it up. Try explaining to your average Walmart employee why you're returning it unwrapped.

As for the ads themselves - the world it full of ads. Unlike on a 'Disney DVD' - you aren't being forced to watch the ads (As far as the medium is concerned). At least you can shoot them with walkers - I'd like to see THAT on a Disney DVD.
~Kahuna

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
that really does ruin the gameplay in a game like bf2 a game like nfs i mean those ads look like they SHOULD be in there that just looks wierd.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts