Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Source

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Time until someone makes a crack for this: 15 minutes

·
Registered
880 Posts
so what if alot of people watch "explicit material" online.. and it records these habits and generates ads accordingly? That would be great.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Ad agencies have been dreaming of this for a couple years now. They use the info to target ads to you the same way its done on web pages.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
So if it finds out we're all watching pr0n vidoes, they will advertise nudity?? Hmmm...

But seriously, this is a bs move on their part. We want our privacy!

·
Registered
787 Posts
There's been lots of talk about EA doing this. You will see an ad on a billboard inside the actual game, or a poster on a wall. It isn't like the spyware we're thinking of, with all those annoying pop-ups. When you see an ad, you can just ignore it.

Honestly, I don't really mind. I will still play the game regardless. Sure it kind of takes away from our privacy, but it is still "anonymous" stats. And yes, there will no doubt be a crack. I wonder if EA really needed the extra revenue. It would be sweet if Ad companies paid us to play the game.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
If the game was free, it wouldnt be much of a problem - IF they made it clear that information would be collected before you downloaded/installed it. But of course EA is gonna charge $50 or $60 for this, like they always do...and for a program with spyware in it! I think it really shows now, that EA is in it for the money and not for the sake of the game.

I think companies like Valve are an example of how a company should be - not trashing their old games and making you buy new ones. CS 1.6 is still supported, even though CS:S is out. And Valve continuously releases updates for its games, and its automated so you dont have to go manually download a patch. Not to mention they dont charge you an arm and a leg for games and the games are actually worth the money. And they dont charge you for every little add-on. Like how CS:S and HL2DM came free with HL2.

EA
Valve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thats terrible. Good find on that one... I won't be buying bf2142 (I'll stick to CoD2, thank you very much).

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Wow...simply sickening.

If the stats are anonymous, then the ads will be targetted based on what sites the majority of players visit. The only true way to target ads to you is to record your surfing habits anonymously and link them to your account, then deliver related ads just to you when you log on.

I don't trust it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

If the game was free, it wouldnt be much of a problem - IF they made it clear that information would be collected before you downloaded/installed it. But of course EA is gonna charge $50 or $60 for this, like they always do...and for a program with spyware in it! I think it really shows now, that EA is in it for the money and not for the sake of the game.

I think companies like Valve are an example of how a company should be - not trashing their old games and making you buy new ones. CS 1.6 is still supported, even though CS:S is out. And Valve continuously releases updates for its games, and its automated so you dont have to go manually download a patch. Not to mention they dont charge you an arm and a leg for games and the games are actually worth the money. And they dont charge you for every little add-on. Like how CS:S and HL2DM came free with HL2.

EA
Valve

Well, you may not be so happy with the automated updates if what happened in certain parts of Europe happens here. I have a buddy in my Il2
F squadron who plays a WWII game on steam (don't recall the name, maybe red orchestra?) and they recently issued an update that sensors ALL the Nazi insignia and emblems and flags etc. He i exceptionally pissed that a game he has been playing for a long time would suddenly be sensored beyond all reason and only in his particular part of Europe (germany, austria, belgum I think...). If everyone went to a steam type system one day the FCC or some such group could censor every game you have on your rig and there's nothing you can do about it......

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudaddy
We want our privacy!
So people say. Then they go and buy games like this anyway. The only way to make them stop is to hit them where it hurts: don't buy their products.

But this is also a case where one man cannot make a difference. If everyone who knows about this spyware issue refused to buy the product, well, EA probably wouldn't even notice. No, you have to make a LOT of noise and convince everyone, everyone, who wants this game not to buy it because of the spyware. Only when products that by all rights should have been blockbusters turn out to be busts because of stupid corporate decisions will those stupid decisions stop happening.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, i was about to Order the game... Not anymore. We pay eneough for the game and they are just trying too grab every penny they can.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
So people say. Then they go and buy games like this anyway. The only way to make them stop is to hit them where it hurts: don't buy their products.

But this is also a case where one man cannot make a difference. If everyone who knows about this spyware issue refused to buy the product, well, EA probably wouldn't even notice. No, you have to make a LOT of noise and convince everyone, everyone, who wants this game not to buy it because of the spyware. Only when products that by all rights should have been blockbusters turn out to be busts because of stupid corporate decisions will those stupid decisions stop happening.
Exept that when BF2 first came out was was basicly unplayable, and millions and millions of people still played it...

EA really seems to have gone down hill since BF1942. I dont think I will be buying any more of their games. BF2, for example, is so crappy out of the box that it feels like you are playing an alpha copy...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Well I was going to buy the game, but not any more. I guess I'll go back to playing Planetside, looked just the same almost IMO.

Quote:

records "anonymous" information like your IP address

LOL, once they know your IP your not all that "anonymous".
Thats why I connect through a proxy.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts