Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i noticed this the other day and was scratching my head because i couldn't find any other draw through task manager. I used ezvid to record but cant upload right now due to youtube being down. Normal usage was like 60-80% on 6 threads(cores) on my 8350 but now its 50-70% on 8 thread:drool:. Any ideas are welcome as to why its doing this and the video is coming as soon as youtube is back up(in read mode only right now for some reason).

Edit ezvid added about 10%-20% cpu usage on all 8 it looks like but it was doing that before. The only thing that changed was a driver update to 13.8.1 awhile back.

Youtube is running c2d servers i guess:p

Embedded vid isn't working hmm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2hQK3qdzBY&feature=youtu.be

·
Enthusiast
790 Posts
Battlefield 3 uses 6 Threads. If it would use 8, the usage would be over 95%.

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takla View Post

Battlefield 3 uses 6 Threads. If it would use 8, the usage would be over 95%.
Actually making use of 8+ logical CPUs requires at least that many threads, but this does not mean that every thread is always, or frequently taking advantage of all the cycles given it. Indeed this is a rare scenario.

There is almost always some sort of bottleneck that keeps a thread from 100% utilization, often this is simply waiting for other threads.

I don't know exactly how many threads of any significant CPU utilization BF3 can spawn, but even if it is one, or more, per logical CPU, the CPU being pegged at 100% utilization would be extremely rare.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Actually making use of 8+ logical CPUs requires at least that many threads, but this does not mean that every thread is always, or frequently taking advantage of all the cycles given it. Indeed this is a rare scenario.

There is almost always some sort of bottleneck that keeps a thread from 100% utilization, often this is simply waiting for other threads.

I don't know exactly how many threads of any significant CPU utilization BF3 can spawn, but even if it is one, or more, per logical CPU, the CPU being pegged at 100% utilization would be extremely rare.
Question, so why would a fx 63xx bottleneck say CFX 7950 or gti 660 sli 2 1080p if BF3 uses at most 6 threads, I'm trying to understand the process, thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts