1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bell must not of got there free copy
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Battlefield3 features vehicles of all kinds (see full list of Battlefield 3 vehicles), and most vehicle makers are usually happy to see their creations replicated in games, and some receive a licensing fee as well. But not Textron, the owners of aircraft manufacturer Bell, who want EA to remove its aircraft from Battlefield 3. It concerns helicopters such as the AH-1Z Viper and the UH-1Y Huey, both of which are represented in Battlefield 3.
Source

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
What the hell...

They were fine with it in BF2, what's wrong with it in BF3? The AH-1Z is the best attack chopper in the game, how can they be disappointed about that?

EDIT:
Ah. Sounds like they are being a bit too greedy with their licensing costs...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Can't they just rename them? problem solved no?

**Edit**
if thats not enough, them modify the model enough to pass and rename it... keep sames specs. I for one don't care if it says Viper or Cottonmouth or whatever, just keep it rocking
band.gif

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

Can't they just rename them? problem solved no?
**Edit**
if thats not enough, them modify the model enough to pass and rename it... keep sames specs. I for one don't care if it says Viper or Cottonmouth or whatever, just keep it rocking
band.gif
1+ this exactly

·
NOT New to OCN
1,973 Posts
wow, if they did that it would ruin the aircraft in the game to a large degree. Kinda like Porsche in Gran Turismo not getting along....so GT5 had the RUF brand Porsche in the game instead of a 911. Problem is you can't exactly do that with this situation by Bell in BF3. Lets hope this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM_HERO View Post

wow, if they did that it would ruin the aircraft in the game to a large degree. Kinda like Porsche in Gran Turismo not getting along....so GT5 had the RUF brand Porsche in the game instead of a 911. Problem is you can't exactly do that with this situation by Bell in BF3. Lets hope this doesn't happen.
How would it ruin the game? That makes no sense?

It would do everything exactly like it does now. Just not be named AH-1Z Viper. It would perform exactly like it does now. A model is just a textured cover over a wireframe with physical properties. It would make absolutely ZERO difference to gameplay except you would have to get used to it looking different.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Quote:

Flying it with a proper team mate is a ton of fun.

And yeah, they should just change the name.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,679 Posts
Rename incoming:
replaced by POS-1V, POS-1H

• Rep+
Reactions: cloppy007

·
NOT New to OCN
1,973 Posts
Quote:

It would do everything exactly like it does now. Just not be named AH-1Z Viper. It would perform exactly like it does now. A model is just a textured cover over a wireframe with physical properties. It would make absolutely ZERO difference to gameplay except you would have to get used to it looking different.
I meant if they removed it completely it would ruin the game.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Or just rename them the AH-1Z and UH-1Y instead of the AH-1Z and UH-1Y. Then they just MS paint the strike through on the texture and problem solved.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM_HERO View Post

I meant if they removed it completely it would ruin the game.
Oh, cause you then referred to GT5 by using the RUF so I figured you just meant renamed. Cause you realize the RUF in that game would more than likely perform exactly like the Porsche would have, it just looks difference.

You so silly.
tongue.gif

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post

Or just rename them the AH-1Z and UH-1Y instead of the AH-1Z and UH-1Y. Then they just MS paint the strike through on the texture and problem solved.
No. They can't use the actual model that represents the real thing, they have to create a render of fictional aircraft or find other alternatives to use that they get permission for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post

What the hell...

They were fine with it in BF2, what's wrong with it in BF3? The AH-1Z is the best attack chopper in the game, how can they be disappointed about that?

EDIT:
Nailed it, except the chopper in BF2 was the AH-1 SuperCobra, this is the AH-1Z Viper. The differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_upgrade_program

"Oh... ehhhehhe these guys licensed our AH-1 in BF2. They'll definitely want to do it again for BF3 no matter what the costs are, so let's jack up the price a bit!"

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

No. They can't use the actual model that represents the real thing, they have to create a render of fictional aircraft or find other alternatives to use that they get permission for.
Nailed it, except the chopper in BF2 was the AH-1 SuperCobra, this is the AH-1Z Viper. The differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_upgrade_program
"Oh... ehhhehhe these guys licensed our AH-1 in BF2. They'll definitely want to do it again for BF3 no matter what the costs are, so let's jack up the price a bit!"
Couldn't they just modify the model a bit? I know with music copyright a song needs to be some percentage different to not be considered plagiarism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockMonsi View Post

lachen.gif
I would love to see them do that!!!
Speaking of which, I actually live right by a Bell DC!!!
smile.gif
Put a flaming bag of dookie on their porch!

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post

What the hell...

EDIT:

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't they just modify the model a bit? I know with music copyright a song needs to be some percentage different to not be considered plagiarism.
I would hope so. Bell clearly just wants more dime. If I were DICE/EA, I'd just design my own helicopter. I'd flip the AH-1Z's frame upside down and call it the ROFL-Copter.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
According to Kotaku, EA and Textron were in licensing negotiations late last year, but those negotiations broke down, resulting in EA filing a pre-emptive lawsuit against Textron, citing the First Amendment right and free expression. Last year, the Supreme Court ruled that video games are protected under the free speech right, which might help EA's case.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 102 Posts