Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Just as we thought the hacking issue with Battlefield 3 couldn't get any worse, it now appears it has just that: in order to prove their point against PunkBuster, the cheaters and hackers over at ArtificialAiming have banned over 150 Battlefield 3 players by using a PunkBuster exploit. A forum post claims:

"In 2011 we hit them with a mass ban wave and now were are banning real players from battlelog while ggc-stream is totally unaware. We have framed 150+ bf3 players alone."

There are numerous threads over at Battlelog about this issue, where innocent players have been banned. The issue has to do with PBBans and GGC - third party services that run on the vast majority of Battlefield 3 game servers.

DICE have stated that they're looking into the issue, but at this point, hackers have pretty much gotten control of the game. And just to make matters worse, innocent players can now be banned with what appears to be a simple command and the user's BF3 GUID.
Source

Source 2 Kotaku

Source 3 MP1st

Thx to redsunx for the additional sources.

Great, piss off some emo hacker/admin online and get globally PB banned!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
If this happens to me, I will be making a few hostile phone calls. These almost sounds illegal.

I hacked into my moms work and blocked out access to the users in the office.

If that was brought up in court don't you think I'd get thrown in the cage really fast?

I would really like some more coverage on this issue. Imma e-mail bf3blog right meow.

·
(つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
917 Posts
I wish EA/Battlelog got their stuff together... I expect hackers in a lot of MP games.. but this has gotten far out of hand..

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
This sounds worse than the Super Meat Boy database fiasco. From how I interpreted it servers can globally ban players via a simple command. Do companies these days know nothing about cyber security? Rule 1 is to never trust info from a client. Giving clients direct access to a database (SMB) or direct access to a global admin command (BF3) is incredibly stupid. Whoever so dangerously disregards cyber security should never have a job in the tech industry.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdullahG View Post

I blame EA 'cause that's what everyone does.
That's seems to be the blueprint. Crazy exploit though.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Glad I havent been playing lately. This is total garbage. I have BF3 LE and I havent even played the DLC yet because of how many hackers there is. Not worth my time.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

EA paid for Punkbuster support, so it is technically their fault.
After PB affected AMD cards in BC2 last year(You'll play for 15mins. and the game would crash), you would think they will use another service.
When I heard PB was making a return for BF3, I knew it was only a matter of time. No excuse to use third party software with a huge budget and dev team like DICE has.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
It's a popular game. Anything hacking related gets blown out of proportion because people feel the rage playing on a normal day, let alone the idea of playing against hackers. These problems exist on every game you've played. I've seen CD-key steal/ban hacks/ for CoD, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, TF2, Warcraft, Diablo, Portal 2, and many more. The only reason BF3 is making news is because it's BF3.

Don't buy into the hype.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It has nothing to do with EA or punkbuster, its the fault of the people running 3rd party community ban lists not scrutinizing enough over evidence.

Also to people who say punkbuster does nothing I say smack your self.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
man ea has totaly ruined bf3. why dont they use steam?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So let me get this straight. EA sold what was it? 6 millions copies of BF3 on release day? 150 people got wrongly accused of hacking and they get banned? So 0.000025% of people got screwed over?

I fail to see a problem here. That is not a significant number nor should it be a big deal. Any debate with that number would be laughed at.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Got some more coverage on the issue.

OP if you'd like add it to the OP.

http://kotaku.com/5878798/hackers-brag-that-theyre-banning-innocent-battlefield-3-users

http://mp1st.com/2012/01/24/hackers-attack-punkbuster-at-the-expense-of-battlefield-3-players/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hackers-attack-punkbuster-at-the-expense-of-battlefield-3-players&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1467518-punkbuster-got-hacked-we-got-banned.html

They all say relatively the same thing what I did notice though was this post on the AA forums. (Don't get your panties in a bunch because I linked to the forum, it's news)

http://www.artificialaiming.net/forum/general-discussions/56017-unerring-punkbuster-season-3-a-6.html#post414318

According to him this isn't their doing but somebody else's doing. I'm not psychic but from the sounds of things he's legitimately scared, because I'm pretty sure in some way shape or form laws are being broken. Why scurrrred? It's simple, all credit and attention is being directed toAA. those who would be deemed involved with criminal acts. I'd be scared too lol.

Hey B-rock. I just stole that car you bought. There's thousands of Jaguars out there that get stolen. Why should the police give a rats ass about yours?
How do you feel now? Well you're pissed. No one gives a damn about your new car that just got stolen because it's 1 in a million and that number is just too small to do anything about.

The point is, it will affect sales and the effects of this exploit can be very widespread. You can probably exp- nope due to paranoi/ anxiety I simply will not state a super simple idea that could make this exploit a million times worse.

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a way I agree with what the hackers are doing. EA needs to fix their crap!

Anyone got the link for the 1st video by any chance? I know it's LA ROUX - IN FOR THE KILL but I can't find that exact mix.

Massmurder HAX FTW!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunx View Post

Hey B-rock. I just stole that car you bought. There's thousands of Jaguars out there got stolen. Why should the police give a rats ass about yours?
How do you feel now? Well you're pissed. No one gives a damn about your new car that just got stolen because it's 1 in a million and that number is just too small to do anything about.
The point is, it will affect sells and the effects of this exploit can be very widespread. You can probably exp- nope due to paranoi/ anxiety I simply will not state a super simple idea that could make this exploit a million times worse.
That's completely different, this is a companies margin of error. They never claimed to stop 100% of hackers, it happens. That would be like buying Norton/McAfee etc...and being surprised that you could still get a virus...it's the same principle. New viruses come out, they release a fix for it. New hacks come out, they have to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

That's completely different.
How is it completely different? You just said numbers are too small to do anything about.

It's the same. Exact. Principal.

People spent money to play a game. Now they can't play it. Doesn't matter if it's 1 person or 1 million persons. Something has to be done. It's customer service. If they don't do anything about it, guess what just got deeper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

So let me get this straight. EA sold what was it? 6 millions copies of BF3 on release day? 150 people got wrongly accused of hacking and they get banned? So 0.000025% of people got screwed over?
I fail to see a problem here. That is not a significant number nor should it be a big deal. Any debate with that number would be laughed at.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts