Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

I recently installed Need for Speed Most wanted on the PC. Usually have it s-video to the 55" tv for better viewing. Lately though, fairly often i get kicked outta the game, it'll either just exit the game, one time i got an error, but usually it just exits outta the game. My first thought was drivers, i was using like 70.80 or something, so i upgraded to the latest nvidia driver from their website, which turned out to be 80.something. TV out looked grainy and it didn't make much diff, so i tried one from guru.com (or whatever the page is) and the tv-out looks fine again, but no change on the problem of getting kicked out. I thought maybe it was hte tv-out causing issues, and played only on my lcd display, but same issue.

Lastly i put my temp monitor of the PC up and the temp (in the driver advanced area) of the video card on my monitor, while i played the game on the tv. Video seemed to get up to high 70's. Not sure how good or normal that is, but i'm questioning it. CPU and chipset and similar got up to about 50 which i don't think is the problem.

Main question is, that normal for a video card to get that hot? Does that seem like a rather good possibility for my issue??? Or is there anything else i should try?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I assume you're talking about temp monitoring using ... Rivatuner.

Does it fail in any other game? Aquamark/3dmark? Try running nfsmw from the command line and seeing if it says anything nasty.

70C is high for a graphics card, but not extreme. You'll be fine if it stays under ~100. I think. Try lowering the speeds on core and memory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no overclocking to the video card cause i don't know what i'm doing except for one driver had some automatic overclocking or some manual stuff, but i didn't mess around with it at all.

I unfortunately don't play any other games, or haven't recently. Termperature i got was from inside the driver. (display properties>settings>advanced>Geforce660>temperatur e settings on the lil side tab thingy).

I've never had any issues with 3dmark but then again i haven't run them, i suppose i should try that, and see how it acts,

"Try running nfsmw from the command line and seeing if it says anything nasty." you mean just running the application executable from a command prompt?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
What's happening when it locks? Is it a BSOD? Screen freezes, music still playing etc?

·
Registered
356 Posts
just follow my guide in the paste you never know the temps could be hotter than you think and it wont hurt to follow this link to a post i highly reccomend reading for all gpu users

1 - 7 of 7 Posts