Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the BFG 6800 Ultra OC card work with a 350 W PSU ? I see in the BFG kit that there is a power connector. I bet this is for the fan on the card. I am planning to get this card, but the PSU that I have right now is a 350 W one. I am wondering if I havfe to upgrade the PSU. The card does have a spec which says a 480 W is recommended. What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I considered this card, but decided on the GT OC instead. Power requirements and space requirements I didn't like. Plus... the GT is pretty close to the Ultra anyway. I didn't think the extra little bit was worth the hundred bucks additional. If you try it with your 350 watt PS... make sure you monitor your voltages and set alarms so you know if it is causing voltage drops. Voltage drops = crashes and other instability.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
the cables hook directly into your video card... your 350 watt psu will power everything you have, it just may not power it well... lol

getting a more powerful psu isnt a bad idea anyway... that way you know all your other hardware isnt being underpowered... its always a good safeguard to have headroom

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I am using that card myself. No, a 350 watt will not be sufficient for it, especially if it is a cheap, no-name brand. With psu's, you get what you pay for. A stable power source if a MUST in an overclocked pc. It is the heart of the system, and can make it or break it. Tell us your budget, and we can help you make a decision.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

I am using that card myself. No, a 350 watt will not be sufficient for it, especially if it is a cheap, no-name brand. With psu's, you get what you pay for. A stable power source if a MUST in an overclocked pc. It is the heart of the system, and can make it or break it. Tell us your budget, and we can help you make a decision.

Budget is no limit for me..as i am considering for one of the most expensive display cards available in the market now. I feel dumb for getting this 350W PSU and case, when I should have gone for a 450 or even 500 or 600..THe problem i have now is the case has a 120 mm fan, 2 80 mm fans, 2 HDDs, 2 CD drives, so pretty much all power plugs are filled..For the 6800OC card, if i have to compromise for two power connectors (HDD type) i will have to take out two fans, then my cooling will be in a mess. I paid 79 dollars for this dumb case and now i have to spend more bucks to get a new case with 450 W psu. I will probably end up selling this case on ebay and before that get a new 600 W PSU and case.

BTW are the power connectors just for the fan for cooling ? Is there a connector which connects to the motherboard so that I can monitor speed of the fan ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts