Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys:

I have a GTX 295 on my EVGA nForce 790 Ultra SLi board. The problem started yesterday when the computer suddenly froze while doing normal web browsing (havn't played high-res games since a long time). I restarted the computer and started to get this long beep, so I checked the double 7-segment display on the board, and followed the error code, and it turns out to be "2b", which means failure while initializing video.

I took a closer look to the display card, and found that the fan isn't moving at all. It's not stuck with dust or anything (I cleaned it like 9 months ago), and it moves freely when I push it with my fingers, but it doesn't move or try to move in any way.

The card doesn't even give a red light or anything related to an obvious error. The indicator light is green and everything looks fine... but the card doesn't work!

So my first question is: what's happened to it? Is it dead?? How am I supposed to troubleshoot this.

Second issue: If my card dies, I'm thinking of replacing it with dual GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 (SLi), but the thing is that the card has a new design where the fans are located on the sides and there's no outlet for the air that I could understand from the pictures.

So if I stack two cards beside each other, would that make any cooling problem?
Would you recommend me getting dual GTX 670 FTW Signature 2? or is it a crazy idea for some reason I hadn't forseen?

Thank you for any efforts.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
For SLI, I think reference cooler is a better choice, though. You can grab an EVGA 670 FTW card...using 680 PCB/Cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

I don't think a single 670 is matching that well with a 3.8 Q9xxx much less SLI 670s. My Q9550 at 4.3 benched about like a stock 2500K.
Agreed. One 670 will cause a bottleneck, not a huge one...he will still see an improvement over his current (dead) card, but he will never see the true potential of a single 670 on his current system. OP should buy one GTX 670 to tide him over while he upgrades his CPU, MOBO, and RAM. He should only consider SLI after he is running a current gen platform.

And OP, sorry...but your GTX 295 is dead. R.I.P.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiMartyr View Post

Agreed. One 670 will cause a bottleneck, not a huge one...he will still see an improvement over his current (dead) card, but he will never see the true potential of a single 670 on his current system. OP should buy one GTX 670 to tide him over while he upgrades his CPU, MOBO, and RAM. He should only consider SLI after he is running a current gen platform.
Thanks for the answer.

OK, I'm now confused. I thought GTX 295 is much more powerful than GTX 670, and now you're telling me that I'm gonna get a bottleneck with 670 and also get better performance than 295. Could you please explain the reason?

Check out this benchmark comparison:

http://www.hwcompare.com/12561/geforce-gtx-295-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

·
Premium Member
8,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

I don't think a single 670 is matching that well with a 3.8 Q9xxx much less SLI 670s. My Q9550 at 4.3 benched about like a stock 2500K.
this...
thumb.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyFTW View Post

Theoretical Benchmarks
tongue.gif
I see!

So I gather from you guys that I have to buy a single GTX 670. So I'm going for Evga GTX 670 FTW Sig 2.

Should I never think of getting dual GTX 670s with this processor? or is there hope that they would work properly?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj1977 View Post

Any particular reason you dont have that quad pumped up any more? is it the motherboard holding you back?
My other GTX 295 went down, and I got a GTX 480 replacement and sold it, since I don't play as much as before (+ some financial crisis). So I had only one GTX 295, and now the last one is down. Probably my system needs some renovation ^^

It was pretty cool with dual GTX 295, but sadly... I'm growing up and putting much more efforts into my PhD, I don't feel that I care as before
wink.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts