Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

On my new PC I am building I am ordering the Nvidia GeForce GTX 285. I am a bit stumped on which version of the card to get. They are the same price and seem to have similar specs (I have not looked very closely)

Do you guys have any personal recommendations or which is in fact better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
From what I've heard, XFX has better customer service than BFG. However, I have never bought either so I'm not quite sure on that. Either way, XFX gets why vote.

The cards can't really be better than each other since the chipsets and generally the clock settings are the same in both. The only thing that varies are the looks and the cooling, although they are both extremely similar in even that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The XFX looks cooler and also has lifetime warranty so I think I will get it.

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianEx
View Post

I'd say get the one with the best warrenty... in preformance they're quite similar..

They both have the same lifetime warranty. My vote goes for BFG just because they have treated me well so far. I had problems with my video card and they solved them asap. I have heard the XFX customer support is bad lately, but I have never dealt with them so I couldn't say firsthand.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
BFG. I had an issue with both a BFG card and an XFX card. In the case of BFG, I recieved a mis labled 8800 GT and didnt really care until I started folding 5 months later. Called BFG up and they said they would switch it no problem... no recipt, no box, jsut send the card and we will give you the one you said you had.

With XFX I was trying to fix an 8600 GTS that I gave to my girlfriend. Took forever to get an email back and when I called I never really got anywhere. Everything was fixied, it jsut took to long for my liking.

Overall they are both great choices, I think XFX may be a little cheaper but I LOVE BFG's support, so I say BFG.

·
Old School OCNer
1,911 Posts
I have own them both and they're neck and neck. Support is OK on them both. The both come out with OCed cards, IE: BFG 9800GTX OC / XFX 8800GTX XXX. Both have great warranties. I would say the only things is XFX has a double lifetime warranty. You can sell the card or give it away and that person will still have a lifetime warranty. I don't know if BFG does this or not. I would think so, I never had to show proof of purchase with a RMA or even support while dealing with BFG. I think they do they just do say it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lolz this is hard. everyone is saying completely different things.

I guess if they both have good customer service I have nothing to worry about either way

·
Old School OCNer
1,911 Posts
O yea I forgot BFG has a trade up program. That might be the only thing that might set them apart. I got a BFG 9800 GT OC for 50 bucks for trading up my BFG 6800 GT OC.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
XFX has double lifetime warranty, it would be a lot easier to sell vs BFG. Also what are you going to step up to in the next 100 days when Nvs refresh already came out and there isn't a next architecture card until Q2 2009.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Dont forget BFG with the step up program... something xfx does not have.
What is the setup program do? I thought it was plug and play.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
BFG does not request proof of purchase so thats kinda like unlimited lifetime warrenty. Also if you consider the time with selling, most people wont really care about warrenty at that point because so much time has gone by, so if he is looking to sell within a short time the step up program would be a better option anyway.

Edit: Step up program gives you 100 days from the time you purchase to basicly give your card back to BFG and in return get a discount on a better GPU.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
EVGA is the best overall but they cost a bit more. XFX = good quality and is what I would go for. Best bang for the buck. My GTX 260 comes pre-oc'ed and I could OC it even further than EVGAs GTX 260 FTW edition (their best pre-oc) and their card is 55nm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am on a tight budget and I already sprang for upgrades in other areas so the EVGA is a bit outside of my price range.

So i think I will go with XFX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.