Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://bgr.com/2015/12/15/windows-10-upgrade-options/
Quote:
After bugging users incessantly, forcing them to download 3-5GB files in the background without their knowledge and even going so far as to launch the upgrade service "accidentally" on some computers, Microsoft is now resorting to the same tactics used by spammers and malware creators to push their software.

You can dismiss the message by clicking the "X" button in the top-right corner of the window, but it's clear that Microsoft is intent on wearing down users until they'd rather upgrade than deal with the notifications.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Wow. Just... Wow...

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
How is this forcing, exactly? You do have the option to turn off automatic updates on 8.1 and earlier (and 10 if you get the Enterprise version). Really, this doesn't affect anybody. People with automatic updates on won't be bothered by that feature with Windows 10, and people with automatic updates off won't be bothered by this. People concerned about privacy can just turn the settings to their minimum levels. In effect, it's sending MS your crash reports. It's much of the same telemetry they had in Windows 8/8.1 as well, except this time you're given more control over what gets sent off and they announced this publicly.

"But they're taking away control of my computer!"

No, you gave that up when you installed Windows without reading the license agreement. It's still your hardware of course, but Microsoft licenses the software and will do what they please with it. After all, you clicked "OK," meaning you consent to their terms, didn't you?

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp42089 View Post

I dual boot Mint and Windows 7. I've been using windows a lot less since I set it up. Only Solidworks holds me back...
Yep, out of my three computers only one still runs Windows, and it not even the daily. The rest are on Linux distros. Kind of the reason I just have not felt the need to do any upgrading. Wait till they fix stuff first.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
"I see you're trying to use your computer, would you like to upgrade to Windows 10 now? Or how about now?"

The cost of free just keeps getting higher.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Microsoft REALLY wants everyone one 10. Makes me wonder what kind of monetization scheme they have planned for the future... A subscription-based model? Maybe an OSX-like paid update one?

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

How is this forcing, exactly? You do have the option to turn off automatic updates on 8.1 and earlier (and 10 if you get the Enterprise version). Really, this doesn't affect anybody. People with automatic updates on won't be bothered by that feature with Windows 10, and people with automatic updates off won't be bothered by this. People concerned about privacy can just turn the settings to their minimum levels. In effect, it's sending MS your crash reports. It's much of the same telemetry they had in Windows 8/8.1 as well, except this time you're given more control over what gets sent off and they announced this publicly.

"But they're taking away control of my computer!"

No, you gave that up when you installed Windows without reading the license agreement. It's still your hardware of course, but Microsoft licenses the software and will do what they please with it. After all, you clicked "OK," meaning you consent to their terms, didn't you?
Win 10 Pro gives you the option to disable/defer updates.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,545 Posts
Desperation is getting more and more obvious as time goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Microsoft REALLY wants everyone one 10. Makes me wonder what kind of monetization scheme they have planned for the future... A subscription-based model? Maybe an OSX-like paid update one?
Sounds about right.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you go back I would rant around WIN10. But once you disable the privacy options it's actually a good OS. Better than 8.1. However, there's a few glitches that are just weird.

But to get people to upgrade not on free will. Disgusting.
mad.gif

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRev_olution View Post

If you go back I would rant around WIN10. But once you disable the privacy options it's actually a good OS. Better than 8.1. However, there's a few glitches that are just weird.

But to get people to upgrade not on free will. Disgusting.
mad.gif
This isn't directed specifically at you, but at the broader forum goer,

Why is it OK for Apple and Google to shove OS revisions down their consumer's throats, but Microsoft can't even strongly suggest it? Because if Micosoft pushing their latest software, adoption being free and optional, is such a terrible move. Then surely what Apple and Google have both done is nothing short of an atrocity.

The "privacy concerns" of W10 are really blown out of proportion. You can disable that telemetry, and if you really need to, could employ proper network management yourself, and filter at the router. Anyone screaming about privacy, but not actually doing anything to properly guard that (to such high standards) is just being a noise source at best.

The issue of updates is also blown way out of proportion. You have control of those in W10 Pro and higher. If you are a person with legitimate reason to need those controls, stop being a cheap ass and get the Pro version.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Why is it OK for Apple and Google to shove OS revisions down their consumer's throats, but Microsoft can't even strongly suggest it? Because if Micosoft pushing their latest software, adoption being free and optional, is such a terrible move. Then surely what Apple and Google have both done is nothing short of an atrocity.

The "privacy concerns" of W10 are really blown out of proportion. You can disable that telemetry, and if you really need to, could employ proper network management yourself, and filter at the router. Anyone screaming about privacy, but not actually doing anything to properly guard that (to such high standards) is just being a noise source at best. The issue of updates is also blown way out of proportion. You have control of those in W10 Pro and higher. If you are a person with legitimate reason to need those controls, stop being a cheap ass and get the Pro version.
This is true, good to see someone putting it ALL in perspective... something rare these days..

·
AMD Red Team FTW!
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

i was going to say the same thing

·
Registered
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohuman View Post

This is true, good to see someone putting it ALL in perspective... something rare these days..
Amen to that. Reminds me of the D3 general forums, whining for the sake of .... well whining

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Thinking about going ahead and upgrading just to try Win10 out for myself. I guess I can deal with a non custom start screen...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithanul View Post

Yep, out of my three computers only one still runs Windows, and it not even the daily. The rest are on Linux distros. Kind of the reason I just have not felt the need to do any upgrading. Wait till they fix stuff first.
I'll wait until I need to upgrade Solidworks before I go up on the OS. Or if at that point there is a legitimate alternative to Solidworks for Linux, I will give it a good hard look. It is literally the only program I use that has no replacement. FreeCAD may one day be there, but it's not suitable yet.
Quote:

Win 10 Pro gives you the option to disable/defer updates.
I'd just like to mention that every time I boot to windows 7, I get a window popping up with a loading bar saying "Downloading Windows 10" that I scramble to cancel before it gets anywhere. I have my updates set to notify me but let me choose when to download and install. I find this behaviour unacceptable and I now have to decide if I need to risk receiving no updates to avoid this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:

The "privacy concerns" of W10 are really blown out of proportion. You can disable that telemetry, and if you really need to, could employ proper network management yourself, and filter at the router. Anyone screaming about privacy, but not actually doing anything to properly guard that (to such high standards) is just being a noise source at best. The issue of updates is also blown way out of proportion. You have control of those in W10 Pro and higher. If you are a person with legitimate reason to need those controls, stop being a cheap ass and get the Pro version.
You make some excellent points. However, it's not really an option to the consumer platform. Besides, no one wants to spend extra money out of their pockets just so they can manage their networks.
This obviously does not concern most OCN users as I believe most users on here have a great knowledge of computers.

However, the average joe would most likely not be aware of the privacy "invasion" by Microsoft on the new Windows OS.

Nothing in this life is free. We're all paying for WIN10 in some form of way.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ya know, not once on my main PC at home have I even been ASKED to upgrade to Win10. I am running a legit version of W7 64 bit.
No little message in the task bar, nothing.
I have it set to install important updates, but ask first.

I didn't know what to tell family members I wanted for XMAS and they refuse to give cash so I just said "Win 10 PRO, I dunno!!."
So I am sure I will be upgrading inevitably, but still a ways off for me.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts