Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I desperately need to rebuild my Core 2 Quad era secondary/server/NAS box. Having really enjoyed CaseLabs through my Mercury S8 (which now houses my main/gaming rig), I've been considering if the Bullet BH8 would be a good option.

I'm likely to set it up with a Ryzen+ / X470 platform, but the only concern I have is regarding space for HDDs (and maybe a SSD or two for OS). I figure most everything else will fit and it will likely be cooled via either air or an AIO, hoping to get to 4.3ghz. The only other task that may be a consideration for space/heat would be if I add GPUs for crypto-mining, but that's a tertiary concern at best. . Has anyone else done a server/NAS build in a BH8 and how well is it working for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your post is a few weeks old, so I hope this information is still relevant. I have a Threadripper build in a BH8 case that is stuffed to the max, so here are my personal findings, with two 80mm Noctua rear exhaust fans:

6x 3.5" HD WDC RED 6TB - 30-40 degrees C
2x 2.5" SATA - 35-45 degrees C

Because with two lower exhaust fans, the HDD's will as cool enough no worries. But the 2.5" mounting slots, however, don't get much airflow, so I would only advice only installing SSD's there, because they can easily tolerate the heat. What kind of stuff you have on the upper floor does not really make that much difference to the lower compartment temperatures.

Be aware get a PSU that can safely be installed with the fan pointing down, not up (so that it doesn't blow the hot air into the case!)

The BH8 is not a convenient case for storage if you expect to swap the hard drives often (because there is little room to work with, you have to plan the cabling to make it neat). But if you only occasionally need to replace a drive, then it is neat case :)

·
Look at the avatar not me
330 Posts
There is not a lot of space for HDD and cabling especially if you have a larger PSU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im considering a back plane wich would give me 4 hot swap removeable drives their are several that would fit in the space that could hold a cd

·
Registered
13 Posts
back plane

Im considering using the cd hole as a back plane it will give me 4 hot swap able ssds so a easy swap with no screws to remove

1 - 5 of 5 Posts