Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason, an Apple spokesperson said on Thursday, is because Apple isn't able to review each game that's available through Game Pass.

"The App Store was created to be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers," an Apple spokesperson told Business Insider. "Before they go on our store, all apps are reviewed against the same set of guidelines that are intended to protect customers and provide a fair and level playing field to developers."

Because Microsoft isn't submitting each game on its streaming service to Apple's review process, the app that enables access to those games is being blocked from publishing.

In response, Microsoft openly criticized Apple's policy.

"Apple stands alone as the only general purpose platform to deny consumers from cloud gaming and game subscription services like Xbox Game Pass," a statement sent to Business Insider on Thursday night said. "It consistently treats gaming apps differently, applying more lenient rules to non-gaming apps even when they include interactive content."

Beyond Microsoft's game streaming app, Google's Stadia game streaming app has faced similar issues with publishing on Apple's App Store. And just this week, Facebook was only able to publish its Facebook Gaming app on the App Store by outright removing the ability to play games within it.

Microsoft's statement highlighted that every game in the Xbox Game Pass library is rated by one of several video game rating bodies, including the ESRB in the US, PEGI in Europe, and CERO in Japan — the video game industry equivalent of the film industry's MPAA.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-calls-out-apple-xbox-game-pass-roadblock-2020-8

No surprise to see Apple doing something like this. Their reasoning for blocking game streaming could hardly be any less legitimate.

·
Super Moderator
14,057 Posts
Apple isn't able to review each game that's available through Game Pass.
????

I have doubts, they absolutely are able to review each game. They also launched Apple Arcade about a year ago that's supposed to compete with the Game Pass. Except the games on Apple Arcade are no where near the same as Game Pass. Don't get me wrong, the games are fun and they look really good, but they're basically just modern Flash type games. They have nothing on Gears of War, Halo and Forza.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
????

I have doubts, they absolutely are able to review each game. They also launched Apple Arcade about a year ago that's supposed to compete with the Game Pass. Except the games on Apple Arcade are no where near the same as Game Pass. Don't get me wrong, the games are fun and they look really good, but they're basically just modern Flash type games. They have nothing on Gears of War, Halo and Forza.
They're still mad about halo.

• Rep+
Reactions: jrizzz

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Apple isn't able to review each game that's available through Game Pass.
????

Apple Arcade is not a streaming service; games are downloaded and saved locally. Streaming services like Project xCloud, GeForce Now and Stadia are blocked. If Microsoft wanted to they could release Game Pass but they would have to have a catalog of iOS titles that install from the App Store.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wonder if they are working on their own streaming services and they are afraid gamepass will take up to much mind share if launched first.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wonder if they are working on their own streaming services and they are afraid gamepass will take up to much mind share if launched first.
Don't think they're working on a streaming service for games but they definitely don't want anyone cutting into their gaming profits anyway.

Apple Arcade is not a streaming service; games are downloaded and saved locally. Streaming services like Project xCloud, GeForce Now and Stadia are blocked. If Microsoft wanted to they could release Game Pass but they would have to have a catalog of iOS titles that install from the App Store.
You say this as if it's as reasonable policy instead of apple simply denying competition. Imagine if Microsoft blocked iTunes from windows.

·
Super Moderator
14,057 Posts
Game Pass isn't a streaming service either. With Game Pass, you do need to download the games if you want to play them.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Game Pass isn't a streaming service either. With Game Pass, you do need to download the games if you want to play them.
I know what Game Pass is but Microsoft doesn't have any iOS titles, they're trying to push their streaming service. It's the reason I stated they would need to create a catalog of iOS/Mac titles and have them directly installed from the App Store.

You say this as if it's as reasonable policy instead of apple simply denying competition. Imagine if Microsoft blocked iTunes from windows.
As long as games aren't run within the streaming app there wouldn't be an issue. GameClub is on the iOS app store so they aren't denying competition. They're securing their walled garden.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,235 Posts
Seems a bit silly to go after a company for not letting you put your product on their shelves. Unless I'm missing something, this is Microsoft doing exactly that and only that. Let Apple users isolate themselves I say. If they want to buy into a platform that's doing that more and more each generation that's entirely their choice.

Just seems silly for Microsoft to "white knight" about a problem that isn't a problem.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what Game Pass is but Microsoft doesn't have any iOS titles, they're trying to push their streaming service. It's the reason I stated they would need to create a catalog of iOS/Mac titles and have them directly installed from the App Store.

As long as games aren't run within the streaming app there wouldn't be an issue. GameClub is on the iOS app store so they aren't denying competition. They're securing their walled garden.
Securing their walled garden is just a fancy way of saying denying competition in this case. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Securing their walled garden is just a fancy way of saying denying competition in this case. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...
Simple, follow these rules and the app can be on the App Store. They clearly don't want to follow these rules and Apple doesn't want to deal with licensing issues.

You may offer a single subscription that is shared across your own apps and services, but these subscriptions may not extend to third-party apps or services. Games offered in a game subscription must be owned or exclusively licensed by the developer (e.g. not part of a game publishing platform). Each game must be downloaded directly from the App Store, must be designed to avoid duplicate payment by a subscriber, and should not disadvantage non-subscriber customers.

·
WaterCooler
3,465 Posts
With my work, iOS represents one platform we have an app on and Apple review/approval of new builds/releases very much takes the longest by a lot out of all our platforms, and often tends to be subject to the whims of whoever at Apple is reviewing it and either approving or rejecting it.

Not surprised by this news at all. Apple wants control, so this feels par for the course for them as far as I can tell.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simple, follow these rules and the app can be on the App Store. They clearly don't want to follow these rules and Apple doesn't want to deal with licensing issues.
Pointing out that Apple has designed their platform to be highly anti-competitive does not help your argument. I think we all understand that Apple can legally do whatever they want with iOS, and we all also understand that it's not a good thing for Apple to be able to block whatever they feel threatens their profits without any other real logic just because they can.

There is something in business called the fairness game theory and I think it applies greatly hear. Apple goes further to stamp competition than any other player in this market and IMO it will come back to bite them soon enough. I think Apple and Microsoft have had a pretty amicable business relationship for a long time now and I also think Apple has more to lose from upsetting that balance than Microsoft does.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,315 Posts
Pointing out that Apple has designed their platform to be highly anti-competitive does not help your argument. I think we all understand that Apple can legally do whatever they want with iOS, and we all also understand that it's not a good thing for Apple to be able to block whatever they feel threatens their profits without any other real logic just because they can.

There is something in business called the fairness game theory and I think it applies greatly hear. Apple goes further to stamp competition than any other player in this market and IMO it will come back to bite them soon enough. I think Apple and Microsoft have had a pretty amicable business relationship for a long time now and I also think Apple has more to lose from upsetting that balance than Microsoft does.
You keep pointing out that this is anti-competitve but yet we have both a game service GameClub and Shadow a streaming service on the iOS App Store.

Microsoft, Google and Epic are trying to go around the secure App Store by providing their own app store to avoid the review process.

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
If Apple isn't allowing Microsoft to put this on iOS, it's a money issue. Apple is a greedy company; they want money for anything that's on their platform. More than likely, Microsoft isn't willing to play ball in this regard, so Apple said no.

Both companies are at fault.

·
Super Moderator
14,057 Posts
If Apple isn't allowing Microsoft to put this on iOS, it's a money issue. Apple is a greedy company; they want money for anything that's on their platform. More than likely, Microsoft isn't willing to play ball in this regard, so Apple said no.

Both companies are at fault.
That does apply to every company though. No company lasts very long doing nice things for other companies for less than it's worth or for free. Apple charges 30%, that's industry standard.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,772 Posts
charging for access to a "highly curated" platform. how dare they!

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apple sells movies right? Why don't they have to vet each movie on netflix and get revenue specifically from each movie that Netflix has?

Because it's streaming. Why should it be different for games?

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I guess no one has a good answer to that huh.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts