Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my machine for a while now, happily (and safely) overclocked and now it's beginning to do some awkward things, even when I set the bios back to "stock" settings.

1) It will randomly just shut down.
2) NVidia desktop manager tells me one of my 6800gts isn't getting "adequate power," and turns it either off or lowers the performance settings on it.
3) I can no longer do a Start->Shut down, it just freezes. I've been hard-shutting-down my system for about a month now.

Any ideas as to what the problem(s) are, and any possible solutions? +rep given, as always to helpful insight!

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
From the first two symptoms it seems to me that your PSU is starting to take a dump on you. Do you know what the voltage being supplied to your board is?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Yup, sounds like a PSU problem. You could check all your connections to make sure they're tight, but you'll probably need to get a new one.

• Rep+
Reactions: Neale

·
Registered
356 Posts
i agree but try using different 4pin molex connecters and make sure it doesnt branch off to anything else just that graphics card same with the other card u have there make sure 2 seperate 4 pin molexs just connecting to the video card on both. if that doesnt work then... well u gotta spend 100+ dollars on a sli psu lol that must suck

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neale

Right, so I installed new Forceware (81.98) among other drivers, and it seems to be working dead-on!

Howevever, NVidia manager only shows that I have PCI-E 8x instead of 16x. I can only "slide" up to 8x in the anti-aliasing settings, etc. Is there a way to make use of all my 16x?

That motherboard only supports 8x PCI-E in SLI mode, it will run 16x in single mode.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Have you tried uping the vcore. I was having the SOME problems you are talking about and they have stopped since I upped the vcore

·
Registered
901 Posts
I went from 1.5 to 1.6 and all is well now. At first I thought it was the Video card as well. I updated my drivers and it seemed to work, but I still had the randam reboots. Then I upped the vcore and all has well since

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Upping the voltage on a video card is never really a great idea... the extra volts eventually destroy the video card (and eventualy does not mean 2 years).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
listen my friend could u give me link about ur psu i would like to read about it and let u know... all i know for now DFIs MoBo needs 500wpsu ( for runnin 1 vid 1harddrive etc...). Iam not sure how much wattage u need for sli cards.But iam definitly sure about the msg that says: it dosnt get enuf power and IT WILL DECREASES IT PERFORMANCE, this means ur psu dosnt give it enuf power or the molex is not connected to it at all... so u have two options to test this method.

1) Maybe the molex u connected to one of ur card is NOT connected right!

2) Ur psu has issues, other than that , try to update everything.

3) Diconnect ur Cd drivesk, if it stops then that means ur psu is not enuf for wat u r running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.