Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I have a big problem with an air bubble in my CPU loop. I recently cleaned my loops with the Mayhems blitz and when I refilled, a big bubble formed in my CPU loop. The CPU was running fine at first even with the air bubble but then I pushed air in the loop with my mouth and the bubble went in the raditor but the CPU is now running very hot. I tried opening up a port at the top of the radiator, but it didn't help. (I got G1/4 ports on both sides). I don't know what to do. It was running fine before. I drained the whole thing aswell and refilled but that also didn't help. Could it be my pump? It's an EK D5 with the XTOP.

Should I just let it run until it gets out naturally or what? Thanks.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Remove some of the fluid from the reservoir and leave the top plug out for a little while.
Turn the pump on full speed.

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went as far as putting the pc on the floor with the back side panel facing down and it didn't help. I'm starting to think it's a pump issue. I don't know how a D5 can not be enough for a 480 radiator and a CPU block. Should I order a new one?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Are you getting any flow or very little? I had an issue like this just today. My pumps where with lack of a better term vapor locked. I had to tilt and wiggle my case until the pumps primed.

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you getting any flow or very little? I had an issue like this just today. My pumps where with lack of a better term vapor locked. I had to tilt and wiggle my case until the pumps primed.
I don't have a flow meter but I have enough flow to the point where when I fill the loop, the water comes back to the res. It's just that bubble that's frustrating and the high temps it causes.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Have you tried what Thrashzone suggested? Removing some of the coolant from the REZ might give the bubble some where to go.

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried what Thrashzone suggested? Removing some of the coolant from the REZ might give the bubble some where to go.
Yes, I did try that.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
D5 pumps are hit and miss unfortunately
Mine started out great and had a steep fall off the more objects were in the loop
I only have a ek 280p and 240se mm rads and it struggles still
Forget a gpu water block lol

I added one of these and it's pretty good flow but just a cpu block and the 2 rads mentioned on x299
http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercool-wcp-d5-vario-12v-pump.html#Specifications

I still have a D5 on my x99 rig with pretty much the same rad's and it does okay but again just a cpu block
Weird thing is the vario pump and D5 pump are rated for the same flow rate :confused:

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
D5 pumps are hit and miss unfortunately
Mine started out great and had a steep fall off the more objects were in the loop
I only have a ek 280p and 240se mm rads and it struggles still
Forget a gpu water block lol

I added one of these and it's pretty good flow but just a cpu block and the 2 rads mentioned on x299
http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercool-wcp-d5-vario-12v-pump.html#Specifications

I still have a D5 on my x99 rig with pretty much the same rad's and it does okay but again just a cpu block
Weird thing is the vario pump and D5 pump are rated for the same flow rate :confused:
Well, thanks for the info. I think it's a pump issue too but just wanted to be extra sure before I order anything. I had the same bubble a year ago when I upgraded to Ryzen but it went away after 1-2 days and never appeared when I refilled my CPU loop at all since then... until now... And now its just not getting out at all.
Right now there are smaller bubbles and foam around them at the outlet of the CPU block and inside the CPU block causing overheating.

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's it, I ordered a new pump. I'm tired of this!

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Yep can't blame you there
RMA the other what you got to loose ?

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
Yep can't blame you there
RMA the other what you got to loose ?
Well if it still doesn't work with the new pump I'll do a dual pump setup, maybe that will help.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
If the new pump doesn't have the issue I would get rid of the other
No since in adding a defective pump with a good pump :)

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: The new pump did NOT solve the issue. I'm running out of ideas...

·
Registered
184 Posts
that's a very persistent airlock you got there. Have you tried emptying the coolant out & refilling it back to see if the airlock occur at the same place? A single d5 pump should be more than capable of handling a 480 rad plus a cpu block. I normally place my core p5 case flat on the ground b4 turning on the pump and tilting each sides up at a time to get rid of airlocks that got stuck inside my 480 rad.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
I'd be inclined to try a piece of flex line in the problematic section and see if it appears again
If it doesn't happen with flex you have a bend problem there.

·
AMD + Nvidia FTW
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@fx3861 yes
@Juggalo23451 done that
@ThrashZone I will first try to repalce the radiator. I have a thinner one (30mm vs 45mm) from a previous build and will put it in, maybe that will solve the issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts