Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Data Scientist
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I've been looking over the information pertaining to the BBII drivers that allow SLI support on multiple monitors, as well as physics support on a separate card. I was hoping to get some clarification on things. Basing my information off of: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=630

The slides show three options:

1. Single Card for Graphics and Physx
2. Multiple Cards in SLI for graphics and Physx
3. Multile cards, one handling graphics and one handling physx

The way the drivers are set up now, you can run up to two monitors off an SLI pairing, and more than that if you include another card in the set that is different from the pair running SLI - i.e., two 9800s doing SLI for one monitor, with an 8800 running the other two.

What I would like to do is this:

Two 9800 GX2 in SLI running my primary gaming monitor
One 8800 GT running the two side monitors AND handling physics calculations.

I know that it can handle the triple monitor issue, but can the third card also be configured to handle physx? I ask because the example slide doesn't show using SLI and a spare card for physics as being possible.

Any input would be appreciated. As always, I highly value your opinions.

Thanks!

-Hal

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halciet View Post
Hey gang,

I've been looking over the information pertaining to the BBII drivers that allow SLI support on multiple monitors, as well as physics support on a separate card. I was hoping to get some clarification on things. Basing my information off of: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=630

The slides show three options:

1. Single Card for Graphics and Physx
2. Multiple Cards in SLI for graphics and Physx
3. Multile cards, one handling graphics and one handling physx

The way the drivers are set up now, you can run up to two monitors off an SLI pairing, and more than that if you include another card in the set that is different from the pair running SLI - i.e., two 9800s doing SLI for one monitor, with an 8800 running the other two.

What I would like to do is this:

Two 9800 GX2 in SLI running my primary gaming monitor
One 8800 GT running the two side monitors AND handling physics calculations.

I know that it can handle the triple monitor issue, but can the third card also be configured to handle physx? I ask because the example slide doesn't show using SLI and a spare card for physics as being possible.

Any input would be appreciated. As always, I highly value your opinions.

Thanks!

-Hal
Hmmmm, you should be able to use the 8800gt as a physx I believe. You need to make sure your monitors are extended to your 8800gt desktop and once you do that, you should be able to open up your physx properties and under the settings tab, assign it as your physx card. I'm not sure if you can do this in SLI though as i've never tried it.

·
Data Scientist
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response
That's my big concern - I want to keep SLI running for the primary monitor while the other two AND physics run off the other one. I know I can pull off either of those two - SLI and three monitors, or SLI and Physx. The big issue is whether or not I can do all of that at once!

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
I have some issues with these drivers.

1st, nVidia left off support to run anything lower then the 8800 series. I have a 7300GT I use to display an HDTV. Useless with these drivers. Card doesn't show up.

2nd, nView is not in this version. This is my biggest problem with the past drivers nVidia has come out with for Vista. Now it's gone in XP too. nVidia fixes the multiple display issue while running SLI, but takes away the ability to set multiple display profiles? *** is that about?

Looks like I'll be going back to the 178 drivers. At least until they add 7 series card to the driver pack. I can manage my displays with display fusion if I have to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts