Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a maxtor 500gb sata2. it worked fine last night, work up and turned on my comp for it to take 10 min to boot to windows. i changed my oc back to stock settings and still same thing, i have even checked my hd settings and it is all fine. i used HDtune to bench it and it is only putting out 1.6mb all the way across the disc. no ups or downs.. it used to start at 90mb then slowly drop to 67 as it got to the end of the drive... i never had a drive do this.. think it is failing or maybe my chipset is going south?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it works fine on my other drive though. but it is also IDE. and man i mean my comp is so slow it takes like 10min to boot, 2 min to load windows live messenger. my cpu usage is maxing out at a whopping 25% when loading stuff. i am afreaid to try and load a game or anything.. trying to tranfer my files off the drive while i can and it is going so slow.. 7.9gb file says it is going to take 91 min... so i know something is up.. and what ever it is, is not good...

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Yeah definitly backup everything, your HDD could well be dying.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Fryer

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no.... i was just looking.. when i put this thing in this case the other day i forgot the 80mm fan was right behind the hd mounts. upon opening i noticed that the fan's motor is like 1/8" away from the hard drive... could it be the magnetics frying something?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Last time I read about this it was a driver issue I believe. The constant low throughput indicates your SATA is not functioning correctly.

Why 1.6MB/s? I don't know, that is a little over a DVD 1x (1.32MB/s) or 9x CD? When I use an external HDD on USB I get a flatline constant throughput because the USB is the limiting factor that is why I suspect drivers for you also.

Physical problems I doubt would present in this fashion. The fix for the last person I saw was reinstall but I think if you say uninstall the drivers restart and force Windows to find and install the correct functioning drivers you might be good to go.

I really do not think a hardware issue.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that would actuly be great and i am going to give it a try. would be nice not to have to rma this thing. it was weard that all i did was shut off comp and then booted it back up dismorning and bam slow as heck... thanks asus mobile..

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
To me it sounds like your HD is dying...back up as much as you can. Those 500GB Maxtors are proper flaky, Maxtor put them in the "famous" OneTouch III Turbo Edition - I've had four of those externals and ALL of the ones with Maxtor drives died a death. The RMA'd units came back with Seagate units, and they behaved themselves rather better.

Your Maxtor is probably a DiamondMax 11 or a MAXLine III Pro; I've got four of those units piled up on my desk, completely screwed. Even SpinRite couldn't save them.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Fryer

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822144450 this is the one i have.. i got it fixed now, and am backing everything up onto my other drives just in case it dose go out on me. i reinstalled my drivers for it and till nothing, flashed bios thinking maybe something was curupt, then took the drive out and put it in my back up system, it workd great the only thing was i didnt use the same sata cable. so i grabbed a new one out of the pile i got of like 100+ cables of stuff and hooked it back up. works great. gess it was just a crapy cable... i am very thankful. thanks guys for the help.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I have never had HDD failure so don't know much about. But this is the second time I have come across this low throughput flatline.

Those of you who have experienced HDD failure. Does it not present more sporadicly? Not the constant as in this and the last case I mentioned? The constant to me indicates bus restriction. In the first case software/drivers and in this case hardware/bad cable.

Any thoughts guys do HDD's fail like this?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i have had a total of 5 fail on me, 3 of them just stoped, the pcb fryed, 1 of them just started getting slower and slower till one day stoped working. think the motor went bad in it. and the last one i replaced was weard, i bought a new atx case moved everything over to it, and hit the power button and poof a nice smelly cloud of gray smoke poured from my case, it burnt out 3 of the pins on the sata power connector almost to the pcb. i found it odd becuse 12v at 30amp is not enough to arch 1/4 inch, but it somehow did.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Well any physical problem I can think of would still show greater throughput on the outer edge of the platter vs the inner most parts and your problem did not. To me that is why I did not think an HDD issue. I just want to get a better understanding if my diagnostic just guessed lucky twice or tell tale diagnostic?

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
@ OP

Many, many thanks for sharing your conclusion with us. In situations like that it's easy to do what I did and blame the HD, and based on their reputation, I suppose it's understandable. However, it's too easy to forget that cables can go bad too, as well as controllers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts