Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to safely remove the sponge from the rear of the Motherboard?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yea right, that thing is so hard to get off. I had to do it when i switched boards. I was taking it off a dead board so i didn't care about scratching it so i took a screw driver and pryed it off. If you cant do that try taking a blowdyer to it to heat it up.

·
Banned
240 Posts
what you need to do is this... ive done it about 5 times now, and you have to be VERY careful... get a small flathead screwdriver. you want to stick the end into the padding on the 'sponge'... DO NOT JAB THE BOARD. once you start to get a little of it off, it will all come off. just be gentle. ive taken mine off about 5 times now, including twice tonight.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good grief! to supratt93 who said he had done this twice in one night, My hat is off to you! I could have half built a new system in the time this took. This was as painfull as working with ASUS Tech Support. It's off with no visible damage to the mobo. even checked with a magnifier. Now the magic question is, If you want to reuse the HSF, how do you get another sponge or alternative substitute? The old sponge is kinda mutilated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would just use a piece of cardboard. Not the corrugated type but the kind you'd find on cereal boxes, etc. AFAIK, the foam is only there to keep the mb component pins from shorting out on the metal plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts