Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmad4it

i am wondering if its worth upgrading my thermalright xp-90c with a 90mm zalman fan on it to a Big Typhoon. Or will the changes in temps be pretty minimal?

Would it be better to try and get the case temps down more before upgrading?

regards J

As you said... it's important to have good air flow inside your case + relatively low temps as the air cooler will be drawing air from its vicinity (which has to be cool).
The XP-90C is a very good cooler especially when coupled with a good fan (having good CFM). I don't think you'll see a big difference (if any) by switching to the Big Typhoon.
IMO if you want lower temps go water cooling.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

As you said... it's important to have good air flow inside your case + relatively low temps as the air cooler will be drawing air from its vicinity (which has to be cool).
The XP-90C is a very good cooler especially when coupled with a good fan (having good CFM). I don't think you'll see a big difference (if any) byu switching to the Big Typhoon.
IMO if you want lower temps go water cooling.

Indeed....and for W/c Goodnes, you can get a pretty good setup for ~200 with block, res, pump, non-conductive fluid, rad, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmad4it

i am wondering if its worth upgrading my thermalright xp-90c with a 90mm zalman fan on it to a Big Typhoon. Or will the changes in temps be pretty minimal?

Would it be better to try and get the case temps down more before upgrading?

regards J

You're looking at maybe 1 to 2 degrees Celsius. Save your money

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
You may not see much of a temperature difference, but since the BT uses a 120mm fan it has the potential to be quieter at the same temperatures.

·
Banned
117 Posts
You already have one of the top HSF's. The Big T is awsome, but you have to ask yourself.. is it worth the time and the money. Becuase you have to basically pull everything out (mobo, gfx card and any other stuff you have plugged into the mobo) to mount it. As far as the Big T goes.. since the fan is silent, you could use it for a case fan, and use a higher cfm 12cm fan to make the Big T work even better. But does time+money = worth it

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
I got rid of a xp90, and got the typhoon and got 7c. drop in temps, so now all I use is the typhoon, I have six of my folding rigs with them, and won't use any thing elso unless its free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts