Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a brand new PC from Digital Storm. It has a 8700k and 1080ti, both on a custom liquid cooling loop.

The last gaming PC I overclocked was a Core2Duo e8400 about 10 years ago. Needless to say, somethings have changed in the overclocking world since then.

My overclocking skills are rusty, and I've been trying to get up to speed.

I have been running into a problem recently, where when I set a VCORE voltage (currently set to 1.36v) I end up getting VERY large fluctuations in the VCORE when running benchmark tests.

Whether I am overclocking manually through the BIOS or using automatic software such as Intel XTU or the ROG Strix AI Tuning software, I keep getting very big fluctuations. For example, I have the VCORE set to 1.36v but when I run a benchmark, it spikes all the way up to 1.5V!!! Is this normal/safe?

When people say they have a 5ghz overclock stable @ 1.36, do they still get spikes into the 1.45v+ range?

Do you recommend I stick to manual overclocking through the BIOS or should I use the automatic software?

I have tried using the voltage offset feature, and that seems to lower my voltages all around, not tighten the range of voltages, resulting in instability and eventually a crash.

FYI I am using an ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming motherboard.

Thanks for any help and guidance you are able to provide!!

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
I use a fixed clock speed and fixed manual voltage. When you find your stable voltage for whatever clock speed you're shooting for, then look into transitioning that in offset voltage if you want. Personally, I don't even bother but I also run a relatively conservative OC for 24/7.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I overclock in BIOS using adaptive and the voltage fluctuates according to processor utilization and multiplier. It is a power saving option that started with Sandy bridge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts