Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the bigadv flag to work for my i7.

Unfortunately when I hit "Apply" it gives me an error.

First Attachment: What I am trying to input for flags
Second Attachment: The Error message

Hoping that bigadv vets will be able to help me thanks
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
If this problem was presented to me I would first try to get my smp -bigadv folding working without any "core reserves" what I mean is, is your fah6 shortcut necessary,could you eliminate the "6" just for now?,second is this a simple syntax error in your target field? something like a quotation mark or a space or a hypnen placed incorrectly?

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
this is the location of my cpu bigadv and smp target:

C:\\Users\\NAME\\Folding\\[email protected] -smp -bigadv

no apostrophies or anything just like that with name changed obv!

EDIT: I notice in your pic the target location has only one set of ", try putting another at the start of the target location

·
Registered
391 Posts
You have .exe in the target twice, as well as your flags are incorrect.

Remove one of the .exe as the end within the quotation marks and change the flags to: -smp 7 -bigadv

Edit : Please also note that you do not seem to have a quotation mark at the beginning.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazar View Post
Remove one of the .exe as the end within the quotation marks and change the flags to: -smp 7 -bigadv
Incorrect, the -smp flag indicates how many cpu cores to use, 7 would only utilise 7 cores, if he wants to do bigadv effectively, he should just leave it to -smp -bigadv therefore using all cores available.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent View Post
Incorrect, the -smp flag indicates how many cpu cores to use, 7 would only utilise 7 cores, if he wants to do bigadv effectively, he should just leave it to -smp -bigadv therefore using all cores available.
As someone with 3 i7 -bigadv folding rigs, I disagree. The SMP client has had stability issues in the past using all 8 cores. I suggested 7 for a number of reasons, foremost, this is his first time giving it a stab. I'd much rather see it successful and he can choose to tweak it again later.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Fair comment, but im touching wood as i type this and say that I have never had problems when running all 8 cores, only prob i would see if bsod relating to cpu volt, which is a general overclock fail for me down to lack of system stability, not because i used too many cores for folding.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yea, there are people who run -smp 8 without ever having an issue. It has been my experience of nearly identical PPD when testing various configurations in a 14 day window.

On some of the more in-depth threads even here on OCN, it appears to have something to do with how the SMP client divides the work units to be processed between cores. If you have all 8 cores folding, there isn't a dedicated core to "manage" the others so to speak. By having free CPU cycles you can better manage the core synchronization I believe it was called. I just tried looking it up in the log files at my disposal and I can't seem to find it listed anywhere. I used to see it a lot when running stress tests on the old VMWare setup.

When I ran all 8, it was up towards 6-8%, as in, the fastest core completed it's segment and had to idle while the others completed theirs. When I ran only 7, it was never more than 2%. I haven't had the best of luck with -bigadv since it moved back to the SMP client in Windows, so I can only share my experiences with it since then.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
It is correct. Just as Alazar said, sometimes the client is more balanced when freeing up one core.

It depends on each system, but sometimes you just need to use -smp 7. Other times, -smp 6. And in some cases, you might also need to set the affinity of the SMP client to the last 7 cores (opposed to the default, where 7/8 cores of usage is spread over all cores, so each one is at ~87.5% usage).

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can always stop the client, change the flag and run it for a couple hours. See if your TPF changes overnight. If it gets worse, go back to 8, if it gets better, leave it at 7.

The old OCN VMWare Guide itself:

Quote:
Keep in mind I was running on 8 cores and now I am getting more PPD on 7 cores.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
And a thread from FF itself:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14417

Quote:
Suppose your hardware has M cores (or M virtual cores if you have HypwerThreading). To process SMP, FahCore_a3 requires the use of "-smp N" where N can be equal to or less than the number of cores M, that your OS reports that you have. (The default value of N is the maximum number, M.)

There have been several reports stating that setting N less than M might perform better than N=M.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Seems we need a little clarification here -smp 8 will net you quite a bit more PPD when running a dedicated folding machine that is running only the smp client. If you are going to be running a GPU or use the computer allot and this includes browsing the Internet then -smp 7 will net you more PPD with the smp client. The smp client does not do very well when you use your computer for other tasks than folding and this goes for bigadv and regular smp folding.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpa_01 View Post
Seems we need a little clarification here -smp 8 will net you quite a bit more PPD when running a dedicated folding machine that is running only the smp client. If you are going to be running a GPU or use the computer allot and this includes browsing the Internet then -smp 7 will net you more PPD with the smp client. The smp client does not do very well when you use your computer for other tasks than folding and this goes for bigadv and regular smp folding.

my pc is on 24/7, I leave it folding all nigth and during day while im at work, soon as im home i leave it folding during internet stuff, but if i game for few hrs i close the gpu and cpu client. So its folding 100% 8 cores for least 20 hours a day.

edit: even with smp 7, cpu usage still showing 100% on all 8 core.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to clarify, Grandpa_01. The forums discuss this as overall performance difference, even for dedicated rigs. The very nature of the SMP client itself is why a 100% cpu usage isn't the optimal configuration.

I am trying to find the article that Punchy talked about getting significantly different results based upon how many cores he was folding with in the 24-core machines he was playing with. I recall something odd like -smp 19 was vastly superior in performance than -smp 24. Can't find the discussion though.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent View Post
my pc is on 24/7, I leave it folding all nigth and during day while im at work, soon as im home i leave it folding during internet stuff, but if i game for few hrs i close the gpu and cpu client. So its folding 100% 8 cores for least 20 hours a day.

edit: even with smp 7, cpu usage still showing 100% on all 8 core.
Did you restart the client? You need to for the new flag to take effect.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I am trying to get the bigadv flag to work for my i7.

Unfortunately when I hit "Apply" it gives me an error.

First Attachment: What I am trying to input for flags
Second Attachment: The Error message

Hoping that bigadv vets will be able to help me thanks
By the way use the command window and see if you can get it to change.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Oh, Argosy, there's no inverted commas (") at the start of your "Target" field.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazar View Post
Not sure what you are trying to clarify, Grandpa_01. The forums discuss this as overall performance difference, even for dedicated rigs. The very nature of the SMP client itself is why a 100% cpu usage isn't the optimal configuration.

I am trying to find the article that Punchy talked about getting significantly different results based upon how many cores he was folding with in the 24-core machines he was playing with. I recall something odd like -smp 19 was vastly superior in performance than -smp 24. Can't find the discussion though.
That is where it applies when you get to 12 cores or more -smp 11 preformes better than -smp 12 but it does not apply to -smp 8 vs -smp 7 just look at the frame times for bigadv WU's

1 - 20 of 60 Posts