Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built one water cooling system before but now on the way to my personal watercooled rig I want to mix my own coolant but I don't know weather to use silver coil or biocide, or do I use them both?any input would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never heard anyone having problems with just a silver kill coil, while I have heard of people having problems with biocides ( too much, too little, coagulation of biocides etc ) I say kill coil, but I feel a lot of water-cooling is still guesswork to see what works for you. Peoples opinions seem to be all of the spectrum

And if you go kill coil, just go with distilled water, also! If you are going nickel plated waterblocks, it has at least been demonstrated that a kill coil will corrode the nickel in EK blocks, but I feel that is a problem with nickel EK blocks

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487;14178652
If you are going nickel plated waterblocks, it has at least been demonstrated that a kill coil will corrode the nickel in EK blocks, but I feel that is a problem with nickel EK blocks
Not 100% true. It may to accelerate the process IF the silver is in contact with the nickel/copper, but is not the cause of corrosion. There are several reports of people running distilled only, myself included, and the corrosion still occurred.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybutcher
View Post

Not 100% true. It may to accelerate the process IF the silver is in contact with the nickel/copper, but is not the cause of corrosion. There are several reports of people running distilled only, myself included, and the corrosion still occurred.

Which is why I said "it has at least been demonstrated"

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know it's not hugely talked about, but take a look into nanofluids... they inherently inhibit microbial growth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlexandria;14180437
I know it's not hugely talked about, but take a look into nanofluids... they inherently inhibit microbial growth.
Nanofluids? examples?

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you use distilled + silver coil, place it at the inlet of CPU or GPU. It won't go into those components. Don't place it at the inlet of a pump (can be sucked in and maybe hurt pump) or a radiator (might have to fish it out). I used coils in the past and they are a fine biocide.

Now I use distilled + silver from silver-plated fittings from Bitspower. Two of these fittings will provide an average loop with enough silver to act as a biocide and you don't have to worry about a silver coil migrating. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spud84
View Post

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Yeah, this seems a little far fetched. A little like the con artists in the Lucky Luke cartoons with their miracle medicines in a bottle.

Show me some tested results and I'll believe it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use both just incase. 9 months of running and clean as a whistle

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts