Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to finally upgrade from Sandy Bridge and buy into Skylake. When it comes to other components, I like a deal so usually I'll go for something reliable but cheap like an Asrock board, but their cheapest z170 offering with DDR3 support (Yes I want to keep my RAM, sue me
tongue.gif
) is the Pro4/D3 for ~£75, which is very bare-bones. The only other DDR3 board they have that I've seen is the Gaming K4/D3 which is selling for nearer £100-110.

Doing some browsing I came across this Biostar board, the Gaming z170t, and on paper it ticks most of the boxes I was looking for; isolated audio, M.2 & Sata Express, Dual LAN, and most importantly DP out (my monitor's DVI is dead), plus it doesn't make my eyes want to bleed like some of the Fatality boards do.

The thing is, it's only £50... So... I bought it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but after some research I gather Biostar doesn't have the best reputation for reliability, and looking at the PCB in the pictures it's a bit... bare. Especially in the power delivery area.

So to get (finally) to my question, have I made a rookie error? Does anyone have/had a Biostar board? Does power delivery even matter with Skylake? Will I miss my Japcaps?

Thanks Overclockers.

TL;DR - Bought cheap Biostar board, worried, is it going to burn my house down etc.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Well first, 1.65v DDR3 RAM will slowly kill a Skylake CPU over time. Skylake should be used with the newer DDR3L which is 1.35v or lower. That's why there wasn't a ton of Skylake DDR3 mobos released, everyone figured they would have to upgrade RAM either way so might as well make DDR4 mobos. Secondly, yes Biostar is the most basic budget mobo made.

It sounds like your on a tight budget but imo you would be better off returning the Biostar mobo and getting a cheap Z170 DDR4 mobo and DDR4 RAM. You should be able to get both if you look hard enough for under £150. This is the budget mobo I got and have been very happy with it so far.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157681

It doesn't have m.2, but there are others in the same price range by MSI and Gigabyte that do.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
you will be fine! I have a buddy whom I gave a Z97 biostar motherboard too and it's running fine for over a year. I have a few Z170 biostar motherboards and they are solid. I think they are solid man, i wouldn't worry. The BIOS is a bit rudimentary, I really like their Z170GT7 it has a different bios and i like the LEDs, all other board makers should take note at how biostar executed VRM heatsink LEDs on their GT7 (b/c it's the best LED/RGB LED execution I have ever seen on a motherboard).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts