Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the day off on account that it's my birthday so I celebrated it by replacing the TT Coolant in my loop with some Prestone Antifreeze+Distilled Water. I am now running at a good 2 to 3 degrees lower than before.

Now, time to game

·
Registered
953 Posts
auto antifreze is ur best bet with a loop it will keep bactiria from makeing ur loop swampy it will inhibit corosian of copper or any other metals u may have in ur loop and it wont tun acidic in a few mothns like other adiitivs and its slightly greasy feel will help ur water pump seal last alot longer then on just water

so the 1-2c in cooling reduction compared to pure water is well worth the other advantages

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by shurik06_83
View Post

auto antifreze is ur best bet with a loop it will keep bactiria from makeing ur loop swampy it will inhibit corosian of copper or any other metals u may have in ur loop and it wont tun acidic in a few mothns like other adiitivs and its slightly greasy feel will help ur water pump seal last alot longer then on just water

so the 1-2c in cooling reduction compared to pure water is well worth the other advantages

Actually, that's what I'm using.
Awesome stuff actually, 20% auto antifreeze + 80% distilled
I never knew that about the pump seal. It does seem like my pump isn't working as hard though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangko View Post
Actually, that's what I'm using.
Awesome stuff actually, 20% auto antifreeze + 80% distilled
I never knew that about the pump seal. It does seem like my pump isn't working as hard though.
yea it is so cause u look at a cars cooling system it has copper and aluminum and antifreeze is made to keep the 2 from reacting with eachother so if ur loop has aluminum and copper and ur runing anifreeze u have nothing to worry about as long as u change the fluid once a yr

pump seals , in a car if u run pure water in the cooling system u will get slightly lower temps but ur water pump will faile 2x as fast as it would with antifreeze cause antifreeze besides being a corosion inhibitor and coolent its alsow a lubricant so it will lube the shaft where it meets the seal and let it spin more freely and wear less compared to water

now not all antifreeze is the same some coolents for modern cars that have aluminim heads and rads will not prevent a reaction beetween copper and aluminum if u read the back it will usualy say all metal or aloy safe thats the stuff u want it will keep things from corodeing no mater what kinda parts u have in ur loop

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is a good point to bring up about antifreeze acting as a pump lubricant.

I wonder if there are similarly effective products that don't increase the viscosity of the water and add corrosion inhibitors. And honestly I could care less that my water won't freeze down to -60c.

Personally I'd just like to see a good pump lubricant, a good surfactant, and PT Nuke in distilled water for PC cooling. If I could have all 3 of those things that would be awesome.

Ira-k suggested PT Nuke, glycerin and dish soap to me. I need to look into the properties of glycerin to understand this mix completely, though. Maybe it does what I'm hoping it does.

Anyway, happy birthday to your loop. =P

·
Registered
953 Posts
glycerin is what makes antifreeze a lube and if u go with 100% antifreeze yea it will make ur cooling suffer but if u do 20-30% of anti and the rest water it wont mess with ur cooling and it will give u all the other benifits

alot of the water cooling aditivs out thier can do more harm then good they have heavy duty oxides acids or soaps that can turn very agresive and eat the hell out of rads and blocks the reason for the use of acids oxides or soaps is to kill bactiria but they never put enoghf thot into the other things that might happen such as the mix turning acidic in a few months and causeing crazy oxidization inside ur rad and block makeing ur cooiling suffer due to poor thermal transfer of the coroded surfaces

now antifreeze can be in a system for a really long time cause its made to stop corosion most auto makers will say to chnage the fluid every 3 yrs but its best to do it once a yr to be safe antifreeze has been around for a long time and milions have went into resurch to make it what it is today

cooling aditivs have been around under 10 yrs and not much work has went into makeing them or doing resurch on the long term use and what it will do to ur rad after a yr or ur block

1 - 8 of 8 Posts