Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've made an order for:

- OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD SATA-II
- Western Digital Cavier Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA-III


I decided OCZ's offered better overall performance than Crucial's, even with SATA-III considered (a capability my motherboard does not possess at this time and won't for a few months, at least (until socket AM3+ motherboards pop out)).

So what settings should I be looking to setting?
What I'm planning is only connecting the SSD for installation of the OS, after which I connect the HDD and job done. However, I've been reading about enabling AHCI in the BIOS prior to OS installation but also the problems that AMD AHCI drivers cause over Microsoft's (for Windows 7). A user on this forum complained that it caused system lock-ups as well, prompting him/her to leave the setting as IDE but enabling Microsoft's AHCI drivers via a registry entry once the OS is installed. What's the deal with all this?
I'm due to receive the drivers tomorrow so would like to be prepared!
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
Set the boards controller to ACHI mode. Install windows on the SSD. I have changed the location of my documents, my pictures etc... to my large HDD.

You should do the same.

Install OS/Apps and games on SSD, data on HDD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
Set the boards controller to ACHI mode. Install windows on the SSD. I have changed the location of my documents, my pictures etc... to my large HDD.

You should do the same.

Install OS/Apps and games on SSD, data on HDD.
Thanks, but from what I've read, it's the AMD chipsets that have issues with AHCI!?
I'm not sure - waiting to hear from an AMD chipset user's experience.

It's ok about the data locations - I don't actually use these Windows preset folders. My storage HDD contains custom-made folders for this stuff.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
I havn't heard of AHCI issues?

Besides the performance benefit between IDE and AHCI mode is so small you won't even notice it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,315 Posts
I went with the same drive. Only difference is that I'm running an external storage drive. I considering going with a 1 TB WD as well but its easier to have all of my files on a portable. That way I can cycle them between my various systems easily.

Pretty impressed with the OCZ thus far. I came from RAID'd Velociraptors so I didn't have high expectation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
I went with the same drive. Only difference is that I'm running an external storage drive. I considering going with a 1 TB WD as well but its easier to have all of my files on a portable. That way I can cycle them between my various systems easily.

Pretty impressed with the OCZ thus far. I came from RAID'd Velociraptors so I didn't have high expectation.
That's great to hear, especially you having come from using RAID'ed WD Velociraptor drives.

So the plan I have in mind is to enable AHCI in the BIOS, install Windows 7 on it, check whether or not AHCI is enabled in Windows 7 (through the registry checking of key "Msachi"). I'll also check whether or not TRIM is enabled in Windows 7 via checking the value of "DisableDeleteNotify". Once I'm content that's all good, I'll reboot and it should be set to go!
Am I right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
That's great to hear, especially you having come from using RAID'ed WD Velociraptor drives.

So the plan I have in mind is to enable AHCI in the BIOS, install Windows 7 on it, check whether or not AHCI is enabled in Windows 7 (through the registry checking of key "Msachi"). I'll also check whether or not TRIM is enabled in Windows 7 via checking the value of "DisableDeleteNotify". Once I'm content that's all good, I'll reboot and it should be set to go!
Am I right?
Sounds ok

If Windows setup crashes then change to IDE mode.

disabledeletenotify will be 0 unless you set it to 1

also you can use AS SSD Benchmark to show the driver name (msahci or pciide or amd_sata)
Or Device manager also shows the driver names...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top