Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
It seems that AMD will not be at Computex 2016 in first person, according to the data on Computex site. If we search the name "AMD" or "Advanced Micro Devices", we are unable to find the U.S.A. company. On the other hand, NVIDIA is listed.
Source

https://www.computextaipei.com.tw/en_US/exh/show/data/list.html?currentPage=0&pageSize=8&orderType=desc&comENamePrefix=A&comCountry=US&showArea=

https://www.computextaipei.com.tw/en_US/exh/show/data/list.html?currentPage=0&pageSize=8&orderType=desc&comENamePrefix=N&comCountry=US&showArea=

The plot thickens......

·
Vandelay Industries
2,103 Posts
Thought I saw somewhere that AMD was announcing prior to Computex. That would make it redundant wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: keikei

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not to go off in the wrong Direction. But when I heard 1080 is 2x as fast as the Titan X doesn't that mean 100% faster? How is that possible lol?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Because they don't have anything worth spending the time and money on yet. They are supposedly launching Polaris before Computex, so why waste more money? Zen is about as tight lipped as one can be right now, and Polaris is a known quantity for the most part. The average consumer does not know, nor cares about a computing show. This is why they are not on the schedule. Advertising will do all of the heavy lifting for them, and if they can put out a 390X level mid range GPU that uses half the power for around $300.00, that is a win, as the 1070 is marketed at $359, but knowing Nvidia, it will actually be sold at a $100+ premium, which places it out of the hands of most. I can't tell you the times I have been in best buy or the like and see the confusion set in on people's faces. That is when they typically look at a price tag and the marketing on the box and buy what is the cheapest option.
thumb.gif

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
I knew they shouldn't have spent so much on spicy sauce.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Makes sense to do a launch event starting the day before the 1080 goes on sale.... Daring and risky, to say the least.

• Rep+
Reactions: neurotix

·
Registered
570 Posts
Indeed. The GTX 1080 is twice as fast and three times as efficient as the Titan X.

That's why NV's own charts show it as less than twice as fast as the 980 while consuming more power, right?

GTX1080King.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To say the truth NVidia's booth is rather small.

(it's under the plus sign)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I feel sorry for AMD. I had high hopes that AMD would once again be competitive again after being out of the race since what, 2014?
Polaris was said to be awesome. Turns out it might just be scraping the barrel after Nvidia have eaten what they wanted.
I sincerely hope Nvidia dont launch GTX 1060 at the same time as AMD launch Polaris 10. That wont be pretty

Even their mobile chip for gaming notebooks will match GTX 980 for notebooks since Polaris 10 is said to barely match 390X.
In the meantime Nvidia have moved on for even faster cards

In the end, I hope Polaris 10 leaks from Chiphell is wrong. But they have been very right with Pascal before it launched

·
Tokyo the defiler
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

I feel sorry for AMD. I had high hopes that AMD would once again be competitive again after being out of the race since what, 2014?
Polaris was said to be awesome. Turns out it might just be scraping the barrel after Nvidia have eaten what they wanted.
I sincerely hope Nvidia dont launch GTX 1060 at the same time as AMD launch Polaris 10. That wont be pretty

Even their mobile chip for gaming notebooks will match GTX 980 for notebooks since Polaris 10 is said to barely match 390X.
In the meantime Nvidia have moved on for even faster cards

In the end, I hope Polaris 10 leaks from Chiphell is wrong. But they have been very right with Pascal before it launched
From what I understand, AMD has accepted that they are not going to "beat" any competitor. The last thing I remember was them killing the 1Ghz mark with the FX procs back when. They are focusing on the budget minded, which is also why they released the APUs innit?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeianoite View Post

From what I understand, AMD has accepted that they are not going to "beat" any competitor. The last thing I remember was them killing the 1Ghz mark with the FX procs back when. They are focusing on the budget minded, which is also why they released the APUs innit?
I guess there are money there as well, but isnt it sad for enthusiasts? To only have one manufacturer to get gaming cards from?

·
Tokyo the defiler
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

Wow, this guy is rocking a C2Q.
I still have that rig, but I'm rocking a W5680 oc'd with a GTX 970 and 12 GB 1600Mhz OCZ, 4x raid 0 240GB Intel S3500 DC SSD's in hardware raid controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

I guess there are money there as well, but isnt it sad for enthusiasts? To only have one manufacturer to get gaming cards from?
it's definitely not good for AMD fans, I turned away from AMD this gen when I picked up the 970. However, I did very much enjoy the 7950 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepWalkinG View Post

I think the clients that dont have money for 1080 will buy AMD, so this is not so bad.
But if rumor is true (=390X), 1070 will be faster as well. It cost $380.
According to Chiphell, GTX 1060 is also coming in June, also based on GP104 like 1080/1070.
Lets say it cost $300. Bet it goes head on vs Polaris 10.

So Nvidia gets the entire high end cake alone while AMD and Nvidia fight for midrange.
And AMD gets the low end alone.

?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts