1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
as opposed to my GTX 460, which has two DVI ports and one mini HDMI port (which has an adapter to full size HDMI that won't physically fit
). Can that do 2 or 3 monitors?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3h_ch33z_muncha View Post
as opposed to my gtx 460, which has two dvi ports and one mini hdmi port (which has an adapter to full size hdmi that won't physically fit
). Can that do 2 or 3 monitors?

I believe it requires a custom design for the additional TMDS hardware to support the additional display pipelines.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
WHY didn't they do this to the 470/480??? It's not like you can game with 3 or even 4 monitors on a single gpu(without getting like 15fps), let alone a 460.

I guess it's good for someone who doesn't want to game on more than one monitor.

So who wants to SLI these and get 8 monitors?

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
WHY didn't they do this to the 470/480??? It's not like you can game with 3 or even 4 monitors on a single gpu(without getting like 15fps), let alone a 460.

I guess it's good for someone who doesn't want to game on more than one monitor.
It was the same thing for the sapphire 5770 that could do 4 screens in eyefinity....

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post

So who wants to SLI these and get 8 monitors?

Eyefinity caught NVIDIA off-guard. NVIDIA implemented Surround via drivers but did not have time to add the additional hardware required.

If you SLI this with another standard GTX460.... would 4 displays still be possible?

·
Registered
58 Posts
this seems like copy-paste of eyefinity, they didnt do it on geforce 470/480 to avoid scandals, nvidia fermi uses eyefinity but they forbid Ati do PhysX, this is the real world.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,743 Posts
I can't see this working for games, not with 4 monitors. The centre would end up being split between the two centre monitors.

For productivity, this would be useful to some people though.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
It was the same thing for the sapphire 5770 that could do 4 screens in eyefinity....
I dont think either were meant for gaming utilizing all monitors, except maybe low end flight sims. Its probably for workstations that need allot of video out ports in one PCI slot.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
this seems like copy-paste of eyefinity, they didnt do it on geforce 470/480 to avoid scandals, nvidia fermi uses eyefinity but they forbid Ati do PhysX, this is the real world.
They offered ATI to help develop it on their GPU's. However, ATI chose against it, as nVidia would've gained even more lead with ATI, as most games would've gone physx, and nVidia physx would've been more powerful...

And surround is not as good as eyefinity, it has less support...

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

ATI could not stop Nvidia from implementing eyefinity. They just couldn't use the same name.

PhysX on the other hand is a proprietary API so it's a different situation.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
That must be pretty slow for gaming. Who even games with 4 monitors? Then you have the ugly bezel right in the middle.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Eyefinity is just multiple monitors. It is nothing new. NVIDIA has Surround which is again just multiple monitors.

If anything, ATI bit off of Matrox. They have been specialized in multiple monitors for almost a decade now.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Oh wow totally do want, I found you can never have enough monitors, I'm going to get a third monitor soon (not for gaming, just like the real estate), and then probably a 4th if i could xD

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
But matrox was very very limited, I remember the highest resolution being 3840x1024. And the next was something like 3072x768 or something....

What is that duckie? I thought matrox was an external device which made the PC think that the 2/3 screens are 1. That doesn't seem like that...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Why do they actually did that to a gtx 460? Isn't it too weak for 4 monitor gaming?
They could just do it to a gtx 480 which it is powerful enough for it (correct me if i'm wrong)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasospaok123 View Post
Why do they actually did that to a gtx 460? Isn't it too weak for 4 monitor gaming?
They could just do it to a gtx 480 which it is powerful enough for it (correct me if i'm wrong)
Why does everyone assume this is designed for gaming across all the monitors it supports?

At most, I could see using 3 monitors for surround on lower resolution monitors and having the 4th monitor for whatever else. However, I have 3 monitors (higher resolution) and only game on one...being able to connect all my monitors and now maybe an extra one without having to get 2 cards is incredibly cost efficient.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasospaok123 View Post
Not everyone uses the extra screens for gaming.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
But matrox was very very limited, I remember the highest resolution being 3840x1024. And the next was something like 3072x768 or something....

What is that duckie? I thought matrox was an external device which made the PC think that the 2/3 screens are 1. That doesn't seem like that...
You are thinking about the Matrox TripleHead2Go which is only one of their products. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

Matrox use to be a player in GPUs over a decade ago. However, they lost the war and now specialize multi-monitor video cards for businesses.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post
Not everyone uses the extra screens for gaming.
Yes, but in this case, i think that every card can run multiple monitors like one?

( i even did it with my netbook)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts