Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...buyers-guide/1

Quote:
With this in mind, we've decided to knock together an SSD buyers guide, listing the different controllers and their pros and cons, as well as exactly which SSDs use which controller. While some drive manufacturers claim that only enthusiasts care about what's inside an SSD we feel the continued high price of drives means that people need to know exactly what's in the box before they should buy one.
A high level overview of SSD controllers but they did not mention the Phison controller. However, it's not a common or even a good one.

I disagree with their 64GB recommendation (but they are probably basing their prices in the UK):
For $140-150, you can get a 60GB SandForce or a 64GB Marvell SSD.
For $110-130, you can get a 60GB Indilinx SSD.
Both are better performers than the JMicron JMF612.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglylizard View Post
Duckie you write a review
Then you might money for it and it'll help many buyers

QFT. Duckie knows more about SSD's than anyone I've seen. Why didn't he write the article?

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I disagree with their 64GB recommendation (but they are probably basing their prices in the UK):
My 60 Gb Vertex 1 was £0.02 more than their reccomendation, and uses (i think) an Indilinx controller.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...buyers-guide/1

A high level overview of SSD controllers but they did not mention the Phison controller. However, it's not a common or even a good one.

I'll also give you rep (joking) for a review of some of these drives, this only confused me more

Is the X25-V a good drive? I was thinking of getting the 32 gb one as a boot drive.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
I was expecting more of an overview of the different SSD models out there, and less of a brush-up on the controllers followed by a single recommendation per price-point.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
I'll also give you rep (joking) for a review of some of these drives, this only confused me more

Is the X25-V a good drive? I was thinking of getting the 32 gb one as a boot drive.

You mean the 40GB X25-V.

Yes, it is an excellent drive with top-end random performance and decent sequential read speeds. However, the sequential write speeds is relatively low at only ~30-40MB/s. Good thing sequential writes don't matter for an OS drive.

However, the going price of the X25-V is $90-130. At that price point, you are better off getting a 60GB Indilinx/SandForce/Marvell SSD. At that storage size, you could save money with a 30GB Indilinx SSD going for $50-70.

On a side note, Kingston was selling the same drive for $80-110 over one year ago. Intel screwed over Kingston by not giving them the TRIM firmware and then started selling the drive themselves for significantly more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglylizard View Post
There's that Anandtech guy, Lal Shimpi... He actually affected the industry with his reviews

Anand Lal Shimpi. He's the Anand in Anandtech!

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Anand Lal Shimpi. He's me!

fixed

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great article, thanks

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

fixed

HA HA HA.... I wouldn't mind writing for one of the better review sites like Anand, ABT, Hardware Secrets, or the such.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
SSDs are not even a thought for me right now. As much as I would like to have one, the space just doesn't permit. Even for an OS only drive - it wouldn't cut it for me. And there are better options to begin with such as...

I'll just buy a Seagate Momentum XT hybrid, get 500GB of space, and get comparable SSD performance at a fraction of the cost for $130. Double that to $260 for RAID 0 and get even closer to the SSD goodness.

• Rep+
Reactions: jigglylizard

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
SSDs are not even a thought for me right now. As much as I would like to have one, the space just doesn't permit. Even for an OS only drive - it wouldn't cut it for me. And there are better options to begin with such as...

I'll just buy a Seagate Momentum XT hybrid, get 500GB of space, and get comparable SSD performance at a fraction of the cost for $130. Double that to $260 for RAID 0 and get even closer to the SSD goodness.
Id idn't know about these. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:

You mean the 40GB X25-V.

Yes, it is an excellent drive with top-end random performance and decent sequential read speeds. However, the sequential write speeds is relatively low at only ~30-40MB/s. Good thing sequential writes don't matter for an OS drive.

However, the going price of the X25-V is $90-130. At that price point, you are better off getting a 60GB Indilinx/SandForce/Marvell SSD. At that storage size, you could save money with a 30GB Indilinx SSD going for $50-70.

On a side note, Kingston was selling the same drive for $80-110 over one year ago. Intel screwed over Kingston by not giving them the TRIM firmware and then started selling the drive themselves for significantly more.

Anand Lal Shimpi. He's the Anand in Anandtech!
Intel drives are the only ones that support TRIM though right? I'm really not interested in the decreasing performance of any other company. What recommendations of Indellix controllers would you make in the 50 - 70 pricepoint? I thought OCZ Vertex series was Indellix controllers but they were much more than 50 - 70 bucks.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post

How big is your OS? Why wouldn't a 30GB SSD for OS only cut it for you if a Windows 7 install with updates is less than 11GB?

As for the Momentum XT, did you read the reviews... the Momentum XT should be considered a fast HDD. You do NOT get comparable SSD performance... what review stated this? That drives just caches 4GB of the most commonly used files for reads. It helps in some cases but is not ballpark near a SSD.

I actually was about to get one for my HTPC.... but a $70 30GB SSD + $50 1TB HDD is a MUCH better buy than a $130 500GB Momentum XT. Double the storage/performance for the same money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
Intel drives are the only ones that support TRIM though right? I'm really not interested in the decreasing performance of any other company. What recommendations of Indellix controllers would you make in the 50 - 70 pricepoint? I thought OCZ Vertex series was Indellix controllers but they were much more than 50 - 70 bucks.
Most controllers support TRIM now. Off the top of my head, the Intel G1, Phison, and JMicron/Toshiba 602 controllers don't. Basically, any SSD that is over 2 years old.

60GB OCZ Vertex/Agility have been on sale for $110.
30GB OCZ Vertex/Agility or Corsair Nova have been on sale for $50-70. (I got a 32GB Corsair Nova (Indilinx) for $42 last month... new from CompUSA.)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

How big is your OS? Why wouldn't a 30GB SSD for OS only cut it for you if a Windows 7 install with updates is less than 11GB?

As for the Momentum XT, did you read the reviews... the Momentum XT should be considered a fast HDD. You do NOT get comparable SSD performance... what review stated this? That drives just caches 4GB of the most commonly used files for reads. It helps in some cases but is not ballpark near a SSD.
I was about to reply with a similar post, but you beat me to it. A 30GB SSD is plenty of space for an OS drive and even quite a few programs, let alone a 60 or 80GB SSD. I still have around 50GB free on my 80GB Intel drive, with a pretty extensive list of programs installed as well. Surely anyone considering one for a boot drive will have ample storage drives beforehand.

And yeah, those hybrid drives aren't anywhere near as fast as a good SSD. Even in raid, I'd put them behind an SSD in performance.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here
View Post

I was about to reply with a similar post, but you beat me to it. A 30GB SSD is plenty of space for an OS drive and even quite a few programs, let alone a 60 or 80GB SSD. I still have around 50GB free on my 80GB Intel drive, with a pretty extensive list of programs installed as well. Surely anyone considering one for a boot drive will have ample storage drives beforehand.

And yeah, those hybrid drives aren't anywhere near as fast as a good SSD. Even in raid, I'd put them behind an SSD in performance.

You can install a lot on even 40gb. As long as there are no games/movies/music, I fit all commonly used apps on my Intel X-25V 40gb with over 10gb free.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts