New Builder

My Build:

CPU: AMD 5900x

AIO: Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 97 CFM

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 X 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC

The Problem:

My CPU temp (idle) averages in the 40 to 50 Celsius range, but then after a little gaming and perusing on the internet, it shoots up to and stays near 80 Celsius until I restart the computer. After restart, the behavior will repeat itself.

What I've done so far, in an attempt to fix this:

So far, I have replaced the thermal paste (Artic Silver 5) which altered the behavior cycle for a time, but it has recently snapped back to the original problem (1 week, if that). I have also, purchased a different thermal paste (Grizzly Kryonaut), based off of a recommendation from a friend, but I'm wondering at this point If the problem isn't the paste, but a dead AIO.

The AIO, as for the rest of the build, is a month away from being a year old. I'm not ruling out that the AIO is dead, but It's strange for it to get burned out in a little less than a year right? My short term fix is to replace the thermal paste with a potential "upgrade," but I'm open to any and all suggestions for what I can do to fix this.

Thanks guys, new at this. Hopefully I posted this in the right place lol. Cheers.

(run time below was roughly 2 hours)
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Iconoclast
32,792 Posts
Problem is not the paste, though you really shouldn't be using AS5 after ten years ago or so. If this behavior is consistently repeatable, the AIO probably isn't dead either.

Sounds like a water block mounting issue, or possibly some issue with fan/pump control.

• Rep+
Reactions: Martin778

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is not the paste, though you really shouldn't be using AS5 after ten years ago or so. If this behavior is consistently repeatable, the AIO probably isn't dead either.

Sounds like a water block mounting issue, or possibly some issue with fan/pump control.
Okay, I'll take a look at that after work today and get back to you, thank you for replying!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
How is the pump set up in the iCue software. Quiet, Balanced, Extreme or Variable Speed.
Also ensure pump is plugged into a AIO Pump power connector on motherboard if it has one.
Then check bios make sure settings there are good for pump. Auto probably will do you fine.

May be good to monitor pump speed HWinfo64 will do it or icue

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,955 Posts
How do you have the AIO mounted. Maybe you have air in the loop. You might just need to flip it around.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
What program are you using to monitor temperature? Also, can you feel significant heat coming off of the backside of the radiator? If not, then this could be a stuck temperature sensor rather than a problem with cooling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts