Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm normally not one to post for OS help, I've been around the block a few times, and my google-fu is usually good enough to back me up. But now I'm at a loss, after countless hours of googling, and many many headaches of troubleshooting later, I'm just plain confused.
My sig rig, which is verified stable 24hr OCCT/LinPack/Prime95 & folding stable (and can still be verified stable even though this issue exists).
The memory checks out fine after 48 hours of memtest86+
The issue persists ONLY in windows, therefore leading me to believe its some sort of software configuration issue.
Basically heres what happens: My computer works. Fine. For any number of hours. Occasional hiccups when I have lots of HDD access going on. But nothing thats not to be expected when utilizing lots of resources.
However, randomly, it will "freeze". Any applications that are open on screen still respond normally, OCCT will keep running, Prim95 stays running, any program OPEN still works fine. But if I attempt to open a new program (even task manager) nothing happens. I get a busy cursor, followed by lots of nothing. I can't even do a soft-reboot, I have to use the power or reset button to get it to go down. System event viewer doesnt show anything sketchy, outside of an Asus utility not starting correctly (I uninstalled it, but it left something behind), and a search indexer incompatibility issue (that is known) with 64-bit xp (is fixed in Vista/7).
I'm completely stumped. I've even reset my clocks to stock on everything. Temps aren't an issue either, its running pretty cool...

I'm not too worried about fixing this, if anybody has some info I'd gladly take it, but if not it won't kill me to reinstall. I'd just like to avoid that if I can.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
I have the same problem, and no real solution

Did you remove the 196.75 drivers? That prevented most of the occurances from happening with my 8800gts512. My 8800gt seems to be immune to this, even with these drivers.

I know it seems unrelated, but swaping out my gfx card is what helped, for me. I was ready to blame ASUS (motherboard, drivers), HP (printer drivers), MS (Windows), Intel (CPU), but I decided to get rid of my nvidia drivers first. That helped my case a little bit. Less likely to freeze (even ctrl+alt+del doesn't even work
), finally, I decided to swap it with my old card. Bingo, it works perfectly now (knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc).

Best of luck to you!

EDIT: I remember activating C1E state in the BIOS, too, around this time.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already did CHKDSK, I'll do SFC when I have access to the machine again - work sucks. Also the 196.75 drivers shouldn't affect me as I'm on liquid. Although I don't think I'm running them anyway... I'll run a few passes of GPU memtest, see if it could possibly be the hiccup (I would be livid that would be 2/2 evga's dead for me)

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post
I already did CHKDSK, I'll do SFC when I have access to the machine again - work sucks. Also the 196.75 drivers shouldn't affect me as I'm on liquid. Although I don't think I'm running them anyway... I'll run a few passes of GPU memtest, see if it could possibly be the hiccup (I would be livid that would be 2/2 evga's dead for me)
The 196.75 driver primary issue never affected me, as I have Afterburner set the fan profile. But stability (frequent crashing out games, stuttering, then total slowdown, etc) was a major issue (at least on my 8800gts512, my 8800gt seems to be fine with these drivers).

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, somehow a large quantity of system files have become corrupted. Interesting that I can even boot, I'll just reinstall to be on the safe side

1 - 6 of 6 Posts