Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.petrastechshop.com/hwlablicegtx.html

So let's say I'm running a loop involving a CPU and GPU Block. And I'm thinking of 1 day adding GPU2 for SLi on my 8800GTS(s). Radiator overkill?

Sexy looking, but 4 x 120mm with the right fans, could be serious overkill, but it's like $15 difference between 360 and I'm not concerned about size and space. I already know anything bigger than a 240 rad is going to need to go outside my case.

Opinions? Comments?

Discuss the Xtreme 480.

EDIT: And now I'm starting to think Chipset block too, because I really dislike the heatsink and minicrap fan on the eVGA 680i

·
Banned
3,194 Posts
Go for it

Its the best radiator ever made specifically for PCs

Who knows one day PCs might make like 5x the heat they do now
Then you would be the one who dosent have to upgrade cooling

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I so would not want to build a shroud for that thing though. I suck at building now. Ask the top of my PC Case. The whole I "cut" there for a 120mm exhaust fan is more like a .. vortex look to it.

I'm thinking about it. But I'm not sure if it's necessary. Having a 4 x 120 Rad would mean like.. wall mounting it, or mounting on the side of my desk. And that also means I'm not going to be able to get away with a weak pump, because that's going to be one long haul to run water through that thing. Probably have to run 2 pumps anyway if I'm gunna do a CPU, Chipset, and 2 GPU's.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I still think going overboard on radiator capacity is well worth it. Most of the published capacities are based on a 10C water delta, and if you overdo it you can get that down to 2-3C over ambient.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
I still think going overboard on radiator capacity is well worth it. Most of the published capacities are based on a 10C water delta, and if you overdo it you can get that down to 2-3C over ambient.

I do to Martin...And the pump also..You really have to watch the heat dump with them but then you can add whatever you want to the loop and not worry about it...

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

I do to Martin...And the pump also..You really have to watch the heat dump with them but then you can add whatever you want to the loop and not worry about it...

Yeah, I just watch how we go to extremes fighting over 1-2C differences in waterblocks, and there are probably alot of folks willing to buy another waterblock for that differece, yet they could probably gain 5C or more with a little more radiator/fan capacity.

I've been doing pretty well fortunately, at idle even with my temp probes way down in the flow I'm usually 1.5C above the temperature that's entering the radiator, which is about 1 to 1.5C above my room ambient. At load that typically will only raise about 1-2C.

And that's the other thing I didn't notice originally, how much hot air was recirculating through my radiator until I directed the air flow to cleanly get away...it was several degrees higher before. I've also seen many setups now where someone is using the case internal air as intake or they have some hot video cards blowing right into them. Cooling with hot air is hard to do, granted many folks have constraints in wanting to keep everything internal, there's alot of easy gains in the radiator side of things both capacity and placement...waterblock can only do so much if the heat isn't getting removed efficiently from the coolant.

·
Premium Member
10,911 Posts
I have the GTX360 and its internal in my case (a nice feat...) cools my Q6600 OCd to 3.3Ghz (so far..) and my 8800GTX @ 665/1600/2200 45 temps all around...

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archangelabove
View Post

Ira-k .. you're Rad is Epic. I fell in love. But how loud is that thing?

It doesn't seem loud to me I'm used to using the Panaflo and Sunon fans, its a low pitched white noise kind of sound to me I don't even hear it anymore unless I stop and listen for it...

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archangelabove
View Post

I might just do what you did ira-k. What temp does your cpu run at with that thing?

I have a 320W pelt in my loop and I idle at around -4C and load at around 13C at load on my daily OC of 3155mhz...

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
ira, do you think that a single 480 would work well on four silverstone 121's with my current setup?

The Silverstone are 120x25mm aren't they? I like 120x38mm fans on my rad's they have higher air pressure which will scavenge air through the rad better.Sure you can try them and if it doesn't cool as well as you would like put some 120x38mm fans on it..Use some decent shrouds with them...I have some 120x25mm 47cfm Yate Loons sitting here that I was going to try for my rad shroud testing...Since the rad did so well as a passive I thought I would try them to see what they would do...I haven't done it yet because I'm lazy...
...These are the fans I use on mine I have 4 108cfm Sunon and 4 115cfm Panaflo in matched pairs from front to back...

...108cfm Sunon

...115cfm Panaflo

These are some decent lower cfm fans...

...Panaflo w/ RPM 68.9CFM

...Panaflo 86.5CFM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts