Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built a new computer for someone turned it up and all was working great for a few days. I was loading the drivers for the video card today and the entire screen greyed out with lines in it then went dead, but stayed grey. I shut the computer down. Reset the CMOS and booted back up. It posted then went through the Window's emblem boot up, right before it brings you to your desk top, and as soon as this goes black it stays black and does not load to my desk top. I reset several times, reseated the video card let the comp sit for a while and it still is happening. I was just going to reformat, but it wont boot from the windows CD. Any ideas
rig: AMD A64 3700+
512 ultra ram
Abit Ku8 mobo

Edit: the issue was the video card. It apparently went dead and would not boot to the desktop. I replaced it and all is working fine. I am editing this incase someone searches for a similar issue and comes across this.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The real issue wasn't a dead video card. It wouldn't show anything if that was the case. It was trying to display a resolution that your monitor couldn't handle. If you F8 and boot using VGA mode you could change the video settings and get into Windows normally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts