Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I pulled my spare 7950 out of storage to use while I sell my 290X, only to find my 7950 is having some big issues...

Card will run perfect for a while then randomly the screen will go black, a couple seconds later the fans will spin to max and the system becomes unresponsive.

This can happen while gaming or while just sitting at the desktop, Can happen after 15 minutes or 15 hours..

Core and VRM temps are fine.

Tried using old drivers, underclocking, upping/lowering voltage, second bios, re-seating card...

Card was working perfect when put into storage.

I'm assuming there isn't anything else that can be done?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by r333xxh4v0k View Post

have you tried it in another pc? also check it under magnification.
Yeah been tried in two PC's, forgot to mention that.

And what exactly would I be looking for under magnification?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

Yeah been tried in two PC's, forgot to mention that.

And what exactly would I be looking for under magnification?
just anything out of the ordinary (damaged solder joints, swollen capacitors) it wouldnt hurt to try uninstalling/ reinstalling latest drivers again & reboot before and after each step, ive seen drivers do strange things.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by r333xxh4v0k View Post

just anything out of the ordinary (damaged solder joints, swollen capacitors) it wouldnt hurt to try uninstalling/ reinstalling latest drivers again & reboot before and after each step, ive seen drivers do strange things.
I had a look just before and I didn't spot anything out of the ordinary, though I didn't remove the cooler to do so..

I have used three versions of drivers now, DDU and restarts in between each install.

I'm really wishing I had checked the card prior to listing my 290X.. as its already got bidders now I cannot end the auction.
But being a brand new card fresh from RMA prior to storage I didn't think there would be any issue.. I was wrong.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled out one of my other 7950's that was giving me problems prior to storage...

Pretty safe to say its dead I think...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no idea what is going on with the one currently in my system... Hasn't crashed in almost 15 hours, but I haven't changed anything since it last did

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that I had fixed it, went 3 days straight no crash... then 4 crashes so far this morning...

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
601 Posts
A friend of mine had similar issues with his 7870.. while playing he gets either black screen or green vertical lines.
For some reason the fans on his card stopped working.. he had to use after burner and setup manual fan curve in order to fix it.

The fans would not spin unless manually set to 80% in AB... this fix has been working for him for a few months so far with the drawback being loud as hell
smile.gif

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaVoR View Post

A friend of mine had similar issues with his 7870.. while playing he gets either black screen or green vertical lines.
For some reason the fans on his card stopped working.. he had to use after burner and setup manual fan curve in order to fix it.

The fans would not spin unless manually set to 80% in AB... this fix has been working for him for a few months so far with the drawback being loud as hell
smile.gif
Hmm no vertical lines here, and fans are always spinning.

I wish this could be a simple fix it with afterburner issue... hell still could be I guess just need to find what is making it happen.

But when it sometimes takes 3 days to replicate a crash its kinda tricky to isolate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts