Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started to get a random black screen whenever I would try to play a random .avi video (not even HD), watching flash videos (Youtube/etc.), and the occasional gaming. During the screen, it seems I can't do nothing about it but restart my whole computer since I'm unable to return to my desktop. I do get the occasional "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered." message when I actual do recover though which leads me to know that it shouldn't be my CPU being unstable.

All I did so far was put my GPU overclock back to stock and everything seems to be fine now...so that leads me to know that it may not be a driver issue.

Only recent change I did before this started to happen was having my new fans installed...Sanyo Denki 9SG1212G101. I'm actually getting two more once I get done paying off some bills. Could the cause of this be insufficient power towards the GPUs since those fans take up to 48watts each? What's your take on this so I can plan ahead whether or not to get a new PSU so I can keep my GPUs overclocked as well as having the two additional 9SG1212G101 fans installed.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
No. Just, No.

Your PSU is more than capable of running pretty much anything you throw at it. A few extra fans won't be an issue. Also, I seriously doubt that these fans take up 48w of power.

The issue could be driver related. I'd say remove your drivers and do a driver sweeper in safe mode to remove the reminants, the boot up and install the newest drivers.

See if that works, if not then we can have another look. Did you OC your PCI-E frequency at all?

C

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try. I'll uninstall drivers, disable internet (so windows won't try to install anything), reinstall the drivers (seems to be 258.96) in safe mode, put my overclock back in, and see if the problem persists.

I personally thought it shouldn't be the PSU since anything that's 1000watt and above is usually for a Tri-Quad GPU setup.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
It would easily be used for a Tri-SLi setup.

• Rep+
Reactions: pvp309rcp

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
No. Just, No.

Your PSU is more than capable of running pretty much anything you throw at it. A few extra fans won't be an issue. Also, I seriously doubt that these fans take up 48w of power.

The issue could be driver related. I'd say remove your drivers and do a driver sweeper in safe mode to remove the reminants, the boot up and install the newest drivers.

See if that works, if not then we can have another look. Did you OC your PCI-E frequency at all?

C
It could be possible, if the fans are rated at 1A each.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
It could be possible, if the fans are rated at 1A each.
Still wouldn't push his PSU that far given his sig setup.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're actually rated at 4A each I think according to Data Sheet...

EDIT: Well I just got done reinstalling and restored my GPU overclock. All I have to do now is wait for the results by daily usage...and I'll just edit this post if everything is fine. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I plan on adding two more

Who needs Tri-Quad SLI when you have fans in general that take the same amount of power

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts

I want those fans... They would be epic, FECKING EPIC on the H50/70

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be going off topic here...but if you haven't already seen it yet (ignore the tube)...

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No black screen yet...but almost...since I got a black screen but recovered when watching a video and got that same message...

"Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered."

Now I'm a little denying the fact that it's a driver issue since I've already tried cleaning and reinstalling drivers. When it first started, I tried to reduce my original overclock down a few digits but that didn't help. Went back to stock clocks and haven't had a problems since then. It's really hard to determine now whether either or my video cards are dieing or the power supply is. I'll probably just leave my video cards on stock for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts